Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well college creates pressing times. I have been tossing around the idea of replacing the Legacy for a while, the warranty is up in July, it gets the same mileage as the foz (22mpg, yuck), and salty NY is destroying the body of the car. We are increasingly facing more commuting for upcoming internships, wacky college schedules, and upcoming career moves. My project Saab gets ~25mpg, but it will always be only a project, especially since it need the HGs done this spring. I'm leaning toward replacing the Legacy with something with better mileage, I hate to say it but I have been looking at Honda civics because they are dirt cheap around here and get the mileage (~32mpg+). The 10mpg increase I calculated to ~500$ in gas alone a year saved and we could buy one for cheaper than what the Legacy is worth, parts look slightly cheaper too.

So here is the question, any other viable buys out there with decent reliability? I noticed that the Honda CRX HF gets 40mpg+ but don't see many of that model. We only need one car with AWD (the foz) so what would you guys choose for an "economy" car? I'm not afraid of high mileage and know how to buy good cars, just a matter of weighing my options here...:shrug: TIA,

Tyler.

Edit: What ever my choice may be, I will be giving preference to sellers on here, needs to be auto for the wifey.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can totally respect that. I have often considered a cheap economy car myself, but in the form of a nissan(I hate honda). Good luck,
Yeah been looking at sentras too, the final call I think will come down to ease of working on and getting parts. Everything breaks.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
I gotta good little 95 civic that gets great milage I'll sell for next to nothing, if I can just get the title cleaned up a bit. It's got a judgement lean on it. (Actually my mother in law's)

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
Man this is no brainer Civic is propably best compact car on the market, awesome fuel economy, you can beat the leaving s..t out of the car and it runs like he wants it more lol. The parts are easy to find, man you can swap engines for less than 1300 (40k engine with all the labor) if you know where to look. The car is solid prove as it comes. Sucks in the winter though ;) but me and my civic been going strong for 130k and many snowstorms so is duable just expect to get stuck and be ready for it. I think civic is just the best cheap all around car you can find. Civic engine is just solid. Actually I am alreading thinking of dumping my 2010 Forester and going back to honda. I miss my civic I know it is creazy but this is the best car money can buy, fun to drive, you can do anything you want with it and he will take the beating with a smile. Plus the fuel economy is just hard to beat.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
I used to be a fun boy of nissan till they start making centras in Mexico lol now would not touch them with a 10' pole. lol ;) BTW my civic was asambled in the old USA and I had no problems with it. Ever ;) my mechanic retired the car because his not to bright azz didn't change the tentioner when doing the belt lol ;) and than was uppsss and to the sidle nie ;) still sold it for 3k with 130k and needing a valve job. ;)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta good little 95 civic that gets great milage I'll sell for next to nothing, if I can just get the title cleaned up a bit. It's got a judgement lean on it. (Actually my mother in law's)
NY to Florida would be an interesting drive...lol.

If you want a commuter car that is cheap, reliable, gets good mpgs, and is the best bang for the buck...

NISSAN VERSA 1.6L

'nuff said.
We are not looking to get into any loans, I only buy cars I can pay for in cash, I have been eyeing them and the Honda fit though, but wayyyy out of price range.

Man this is no brainer Civic is propably best compact car on the market, awesome fuel economy, you can beat the leaving s..t out of the car and it runs like he wants it more lol. The parts are easy to find, man you can swap engines for less than 1300 (40k engine with all the labor) if you know where to look. The car is solid prove as it comes. Sucks in the winter though ;) but me and my civic been going strong for 130k and many snowstorms so is duable just expect to get stuck and be ready for it. I think civic is just the best cheap all around car you can find. Civic engine is just solid. Actually I am alreading thinking of dumping my 2010 Forester and going back to honda. I miss my civic I know it is creazy but this is the best car money can buy, fun to drive, you can do anything you want with it and he will take the beating with a smile. Plus the fuel economy is just hard to beat.
Lolz, good to see support. I wouldn't ever choose a honda over my foz though. This is for our second car as a commuter on non-3-feet-o-snow days. lol.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Bad part about Civic is you become part of the honduh class and they often are stolen or broken into.

Im a nissan man, and the sentra is a nice ride for the money. The 1.6 gets good mileage, but the older SE-R chassis is solid as well. I had mileage in the 30's in my SE-R with SR20DE as well as with my SR20DET. Its all on how you drive it.

As far as a new or newer car goes, I hate the versa. I would pick up a 1st gen Fit sport...They are fun little cars if your dead set on a Honduh.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad part about Civic is you become part of the honduh class and they often are stolen or broken into.

Im a nissan man, and the sentra is a nice ride for the money. The 1.6 gets good mileage, but the older SE-R chassis is solid as well. I had mileage in the 30's in my SE-R with SR20DE as well as with my SR20DET. Its all on how you drive it.

As far as a new or newer car goes, I hate the versa. I would pick up a 1st gen Fit sport...They are fun little cars if your dead set on a Honduh.
Lol "honduh". I guess there are fanatics here, let's try keeping it objective :biggrin:

I'm not dead set on any brand, but am willing to listen to experiences and facts that may go along with them. Sentras are in the same price range but offer lower in town mileage, gonna hafta research some more later here...

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Lol "honduh". I guess there are fanatics here, let's try keeping it objective :biggrin:

I'm not dead set on any brand, but am willing to listen to experiences and facts that may go along with them. Sentras are in the same price range but offer lower in town mileage, gonna hafta research some more later here...
LOL. A local has his SN set at Honduh...LOL

As far as internet forums go, the guys on SR20 Community Forum - The Dash - Powered by vBulletin are awesome. I still visit there from time to time. I cant speak for any Honda forums other than the stuff I have read posted about them.

Are you looking for new or used, and if used, are we talking cheap used or?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. A local has his SN set at Honduh...LOL

As far as internet forums go, the guys on SR20 Community Forum - The Dash - Powered by vBulletin are awesome. I still visit there from time to time. I cant speak for any Honda forums other than the stuff I have read posted about them.

Are you looking for new or used, and if used, are we talking cheap used or?
Thanks for the link I'll check it after class here. Definitely used, and preferably less than 2k. Mileage isn't a concern as long as the car was cared for and there isn't major rust. I wish I was in my career already, then I would most likely choose the the Fit.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
to be honest if this would be back in 2000 where the Sentra SE 2.0 was out it would be no brainer for me, the engine was just way better than any civic engine and it was one of the best rides ever for me. But it sucked on gas though, civic had upper hand when came to fuel economy. I still love Nissan, but it is pissing me off seing being assamble in Mexico. Two my favorite cars are civic and centra. Forester can never replace civic, and other way around. They two different beasts. I like the way forester handles I like the performance even in the NA. But the headgasket issue is just out right scary.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:Banane08:Here it is!:Banane08:

I know you want the fart can muffy!:biggrin:
The attached pictures no worky, try hosting somewhere.

Ricing it out is the last thing I want, I actually am refusing to buy any modded honda/nissan.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i hope/take it you will be buying from out of state???? being from ny we all know about rust..................
Yeah, my hometown is in the Binghamton area so we can jump the border easily. I'm going to avoid Jersey because I almost died lik 6 times getting my Saab...lol.

FPT, as in Fairport? I have several cousins out that way near Rochester.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
I would say all the way with a civic honestly. The sentras are nice, but the civic you will probably find cheaper, parts will be easier to source and it will get better gas mileage. Not saying you would go wrong with a sentra, i would look at those too. But if it were my car i'd be looking for a civic. good luck!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say all the way with a civic honestly. The sentras are nice, but the civic you will probably find cheaper, parts will be easier to source and it will get better gas mileage. Not saying you would go wrong with a sentra, i would look at those too. But if it were my car i'd be looking for a civic. good luck!
Thanks, I'm leaning that way but we;ll see. Ads like this make my not want one though...lolz:
FULL JDM CIVIC

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Alright here's a simple question that should help evaluate repairs, how is the oil changes on sentras vs civics?

Just noticed that Chevy Prizms are up there because they are essentially a corolla lol.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts