Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Automatic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon guys. So since ive bought this car and go to the gas station to fill up the pump shuts off not even at every dollar. I was at a garage that specialize in japanese cars and talked to one of the mechanics and he said to try and remove one of the tubes from the charcoal canister which leads to the evap vent valve. Out of the 3 tubes ive remove the outside two and left the middle one on since i believe that from the gas tank. No luck there pumps will still shut off. I also have a check engine light come on with codes P0457 and P0442. Ive searched around and people have replaced the canister and whatever other components are linked to the canister and some have no had any luck doing that. So i figured id come here and see if anyone has some sort of explanation for me. Thank you and i appreciate whatever input i get.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,109 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester AT
23 Posts
@Aussie_f0zzie I have the same car as you but an XS. I had the same problem, I replaced my charcoal canister and the valves near it and codes stayed around. However- I realized my gas tank was the REAL reason I was getting those codes. I had seam leaks in several areas around my gas tank and when I would fill it over half way I smelled gas, and could see it dripping. The loss in pressure because of these pinhole leaks surrounding the tank was causing the codes. My dad and I used JB weld and spray foam around the seams of my tank and let it harden. After resetting the computer and driving it on the highway and waiting for the system to be 'ready' my codes finally ALL cleared. I was able to drive it for months without any codes. But eventually they did come back because the sealent is just a temporary fix.

Sorry for the long post but maybe you should check for the smell of gas, and see if its leaking by maybe putting cardboard under where you park. My 2004 is really rusty and when I look under it my gas tank is polished and shiny where the gas used to run down. So maybe you could look underneath as well. I hope this isn't the cause of the codes for you! But just wanted to share my experience. The 2004 Forester is an awesome car.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
819 Posts
I've gotten used to the CEL being on these last 50,000 miles.
Car runs fine; CEL is just an 'idiot light,' to use an old term.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts