Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fill up my car, and while it's filling up, I go to top off my washer fluid. I hear the pump overflowing, and so I run to stop it. For some reason, the pump didn't click off. Anyone else have this happen to them. Any thoughts on why it didn't shut off? I filled up this morning at a different station, and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium
22 Posts
I'd agree it's not the forester. There is a pump on the NYS thruway at one of the rest stops that has failed to click off when full on 2 different vehicles of mine (not the forester). I told the attendant about it so I hope they have changed it by now. The 09 says not to "top-off" the tank after the pump auto stops, I tested that and it's true, it overflows and doesn't click the pump off after the first stop. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
If the pump nozzle was upside down of sideways sometimes the automatic shut off get bypassed. Happens at our Costco Gas Station from time to time. So make sure the pump nozzle is top side up.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah nozzle was right side up. I love how foresters have tanks on the right side, shorter lines!

·
Registered
2006 Forester
662 Posts
I hope you informed the station manager/attendent about the pump not automatically shutting off. They need to know this stuff.

Frankly, you can (not that you will) get in trouble for the spilage since it is a requirement that you be present (ie. not walk away to check oil, wash windshield, sit in car and wait, etc.) while pumping is in progress.

R

·
0 Posts
There's a pump at a certain station near me that overflows my tank, too. Everything works fine at other stations.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5 speed manual
2 Posts
Gas pump didn't shut off (3 times) 2006 model

I fill up my car, and while it's filling up, I go to top off my washer fluid. I hear the pump overflowing, and so I run to stop it. For some reason, the pump didn't click off. Anyone else have this happen to them. Any thoughts on why it didn't shut off? I filled up this morning at a different station, and it worked fine.
This has happened to me three times! First was 6 months ago at a station where the 'lock on' feature was disabled so I was holding the pump handle. Got my clothes covered with gas. Second time was last week with the 'lock on' feature enabled; third time was last night (10/10/11) same thing. These were 3 different gas stations.

Each time the side of my car AND tire was drenched in gas. Help!! Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Its not recommended to top off a tank - this can flood the EVAP canister and lines and cause all sorts of odd idle and running problems.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5 speed manual
2 Posts
Agreed Alleycat - Topping off is when you keep filling after the pump shuts off. In these cases, the pump didn't shut off in the first place. Funny that it has happened three times with different pumps. That's the question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts