Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a newbie here and am glad to find this forum. Hope someone can help me with this or else suggest what the problem is:

When my 2004 Forester is cold, and I attempt to barely push down on the gas pedal to pull forward slowly (to maneuver out of my parking space), I have to push down harder than I need to in order to get the pedal "unstuck." It's like it's impossible to just barely tap the pedal because it won't go down. As a result, I give it more gas than I need to and the car shoots forward.

After I've been driving awhile and car is warmed up, pedal seems OK.

Thanks for any help you can give me in advance. :icon_razz:

sunmont

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
320 Posts
this happens to me too sometimes.

check your floor mats, that seems to be the culprit sometimes for me. the get really stiff under stick under the gas and brake pedal sometimes.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Check the throttle cable (might be binding; disconnect at the throttle and pull-push by hand) as well as the area around the external throttle actuator for obstructions/dirt/rust. Might check the pedal, too.

If you have so much build-up in the throttle body itself to cause binding, you might want to look deeper into the issue, beyond simple cleaning (in particular, check pvc function and cylinder compression).

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I agree on checking the throttle cable, it may have been greased at some point in time.

If it has the grease can thicken up and cause the cable to be stiff or even stick. If this is the case you can disconnect it at either end or both. Move it back and forth and while flushing it out with a degreaser or some thing like WD-40(works well). Then relube with a silicone spray lube or a dry powdered graphite lube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts