Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 2200 miles on my Foreser now. After taking the crossbars off the mileage jumped from about 24.5 to about 25.5mpg.
I try my best to be easy on the pedal and keep my speed around 70mph max. I drive Interstate 70, at 70mph I feel like a nun in a whore house --only one not having fun.
When is a car considered broken in? Last night I pumped the tires to 32psi so maybe this will help.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Broken in....hmmmm....tough one! Subaru says take it easy for 1,000 miles, I believe (its in the owners manual). I normally take it easy for 1,000, then start to stretch it after that - at 6,000 I consider it fully broken in - I have no remorse making it build boost....lotsa boost. :D

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Like previously stated, Subaru wants light duty for the first 1000 miles for initial break in. I have read from several different sources an engine takes 1000 miles for initial break in and 10,000 miles for complete sealing/seating to be accomplished.

Some people follow Factory Specified Break-in religiously and others have driven it like they stole it from day one. I took it easy 99% of the time but every now and again I would jump on it. I have 37K on the engine, no oil consumption, and good power. This Sunday I will see if it is as quick as or quicker at 37.000 miles than it was at 1,200 miles.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
I broke 5-6K RPM several times with about 200+ miles on the ODO.

I've read somewhere that the first 20 miles is the most crutial point when it comes to breaking in a motor. I'm not too concern about it since I'm not abusing the motor, but rather 'spiritedly' breaking it in, and my mileage seems to be improving overall.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
As to cross-bars being the reason for mileage increase, the jury is still out on that, as many hear have mixed results.
FACT: Your outside rearview mirrors, in a wind tunnel by itself, takes about 4-5 horsepower to overcome their wind resistance at 65 mph.
Your cross-bars are not by themselves, with almost the entire car's cross-section preceding it, and probably don't amount to as much wind resistance as is sometimes thought.
You're much more likely to get variations of 1 mpg as a result of 1)engine 'wearing in', 2)imprecise filling technique, 3)un-noticed prevailing wind, 4)driver mood, 5)countless other variables. 1 mpg improvement for most folks won't buy you much of a steak dinner at year's end...and much of that get's "exhausted" too...;>}
By the way, 25mpg is good for those of us with XT, your's should improve, perhaps into low 30's depending on your driving style/topography...
-Quick

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems 25mpg is the best I should hope for in a Subaru. I got this kinda of mileage in my Pontiac Bonneville. Only difference was in the Bonnie I had more power and a ton more room. Albeit the Bonnie handled like sh1t!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I've gotten upto about 28-30.. but I have also gotten as low as 14 mpg!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Winter gas sucks! I managed to get a whopping 19 mpg on my last tank, and I was driving like a granny.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last tankful, we averaged around 23 city/highway and have gone as high as 27 on the highway driving around 70ish. Lowest 21mpg in town. I took our crossbars off as we never use them.

We have around 7300 miles on ours and I will continue to use dino until around 10k. I will then go to Mobil1

Already have Mobil1 75w90 in front and rear diffs and will flush and fill slushbox with synthetic trans fluid also at 10k.

·
Registered
85 Posts
higgledy said:
I have about 2200 miles on my Foreser now. After taking the crossbars off the mileage jumped from about 24.5 to about 25.5mpg.
Frederick, MD is close enough to me weather-wise. I'd say that if you are getting 25mpg this past week you are doing great. I average ~25mpg in the summer and 22.5 in the winter in mixed city/highway driving. The best mileage is those couple of weeks in the Fall when you have the AC off and they have not switched to winter gas yet.

·
Registered
2007 Alcantara 2.01 X SPT
39 Posts
If there is a better mileage thread than this one... I can't find it.

I hope this is the right place....

I have a 2008 Cross Sports Alcantara 2.0l

and am currently getting this:

U.K 33.05 MPG
U.S 27.52 MPG
Metric 8.53km per 100km

Not too bad and I'm due an oil change and tune up. Put new tires on yesterday as well, so hoping to improve on this figure over the next few months.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
296 Posts
The best mileage I ever got in our MY 03 XS was 29.x the first night we drove it home. Since then we never got close. The next best was probably about 27.x mpg. Right now we're getting about 24-25mpg with the weather warming up. In winter we would get at low at 18.x mpg. What's the reason for mileage being so low in winter? I've never heard the explanation.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
296 Posts
The best mileage I ever got in our MY 03 XS was 29.x the first night we drove it home. Since then we never got close. The next best was probably about 27.x mpg. Right now we're getting about 24-25mpg with the weather warming up. In winter we would get at low at 18.x mpg. What's the reason for mileage being so low in winter? I've never heard the explanation.

Sorry, not sure why it double posted...Anyway..

SubyRoo, you get awesome mileage. A lot of 27-29 US mpg. I wonder what some differences are between our cars since both are 03 xs.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
In the winter the air is colder and denser and your ecm adjusts for it as well as the winter blend of gasoline having an effect on mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts