Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get better than about 23/24 mpg on a tankfull of gas. 2002 with 5spd. I drive 90% highway miles to/from work at about 75mph.

Car has 40k miles, new plugs, K&N air filter, proper tire pressure....

Am I just driving too fast to get optimum mileage?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joel

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
It seems like 3000 rpm's and above is where mileage starts to suffer. Try keeping it just below that on the highway and see what happens. I was consistently getting 27-28 when we took our 2700 mile trip last summer on the level anyway. It dropped to 23-24 in the mountains....which stood to reason.

Tire pressue you say is correct...what Subaru recommends will get you the best ride but maybe not the best gas mileage. I run 32lb's all the way around. Some folks go higher but the ride gets really harsh if you say put that max in that stamped on the tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I seem to do pretty good in my '03 2.5x manual. 44K miles now and I have never gotten less than 24mpg (150 miles of backcountry roads with cargo box on roof and high winds) and usually average 27-30, with a high of 33. Mostly highway miles, but lots of it mountain driving.

·
Registered
08 Forester X Premium
72 Posts
Just got back from 1000 mile run around south central Oregon, the Redwoods, and up the Oregon coast. Averaged over 28 on two tanks of regular, 31 on the one premium tank, and about 29 overall. That was with two adults, two teens, and luggage. I was quite happy. I should have mentioned, mine is 2008 with auto and 25k miles. Ah, figured out how to get the pic to post.

·
Registered
2005 Forester auto
13 Posts
Foiled the Gas Siphoner

My 2000 Subaru Forester's gas mileage suddenly dropped from 22-23 mpg to about 15. Took me a while, but figured there was a two-legged gas siphoner on the loose. He's hit us a couple of times, in the middle of the night. Last time he left it on empty. So the solution: a window alarm from Harbor Freight, stuck above the gas cap, with the second part stuck on the gas cap door. (Our mechanic said don't put an over-the-counter locking cap on because if he prys it off, the damage will run $500). So early this morning, 5 am or so, the alarm went off, and when the sun came up, there was spilled gas on the side of the car. Lucky it wasn't a shotgun. Think I'll rig up a camera/remote next.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Yeah but for him I bet was a good way to improve his gas millage lol hahahah ;) not so good for you I have 2010 and I get 20.7 not the 25-30 that everyone is claming ;)

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
My 2000 Subaru Forester's gas mileage suddenly dropped from 22-23 mpg to about 15. Took me a while, but figured there was a two-legged gas siphoner on the loose. He's hit us a couple of times, in the middle of the night. Last time he left it on empty. So the solution: a window alarm from Harbor Freight, stuck above the gas cap, with the second part stuck on the gas cap door. (Our mechanic said don't put an over-the-counter locking cap on because if he prys it off, the damage will run $500). So early this morning, 5 am or so, the alarm went off, and when the sun came up, there was spilled gas on the side of the car. Lucky it wasn't a shotgun. Think I'll rig up a camera/remote next.
Smart method! Wait so does the alarm go off every time you fuel up now? :biggrin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

To get the best mileage from your car consider few points

1. Always follow an authorized service center for maintenance service
2. Avoid AC
3.Make sure that your tires are properly inflated
4.Always use a good engine oil
5. Avoid accelerating on steep road
6. Drive in right gear
7.Keeping your highway speed at 55 mph can improve you gas mileage by as much as 25%.

these simple step will definitely improve the mileage of your car.

Regards,
sarah_9

1 - 14 of 14 Posts