Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 forester xt with 45xxx miles on it. Been getting around 13-15 mpg and I have not been hammering on it too much (although it is fun) have been very conservative with the last few tanks of gas and still getting low gas mileage. My thinking is that it may either be a dirty MAF sensor or a dying front o2 sensor.....any thoughts?

Also when at idle the car almost "shutters" thats not the best way to decribe it...it doesn't shutter hard or buck like it is misfiring it almost bubbles or wobbles haha i cant find a good word to describe it but it is a gentle sensation when sitting at idle after coming to a stop. This paired with the low gas mileage leads me to believe that it is one of the issues i listed above....can anyone advise me on where to go from here?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
45 k miles is not a long service interval for either of those sensors.

• Any CEL indication?
  • Does the CEL work? (should come on briefly when engine is stated)
  • 13-15 mpg in the city, on the highway, or mixed?
  • What fuel grade (AKI) are you using?
Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
45 k miles is not a long service interval for either of those sensors.

• Any CEL indication?
  • Does the CEL work? (should come on briefly when engine is stated)
  • 13-15 mpg in the city, on the highway, or mixed?
  • What fuel grade (AKI) are you using?
Regards,
Jim / crewzer
No CEL and yes it does work, mostly city some highway (80/20) always 93 octane fuel

-Ive read that the o2 sensor wont cause CEL until it has completely gone and that people have replaced them before a CEL and got gains in mpg after the replacement - The car is new to me and i guess i'd like to know is 15 mpg normal? it is rated at 20/25 city/highway i think? anyways thanks for the replys - I know plugs/wires/o2 sensor should not need to be replaced yet but could it be possible - also what do you think about a possible dirty MAF?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Somethings wrong. What size tires is it on? How many miles to a tank? Have the fuel filter, air filter, trans/diff fluids etc been replaced? Does it make any weird noises? Anything disconnected or broken under the hood? I get 18-22 in mixed driving, beating on it pretty hard (WOT from most stops and pull to redline often) and thats with 135,000 on it. Have you owned it from new? Did the fuel mileage suddenly drop?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somethings wrong. What size tires is it on? How many miles to a tank? Have the fuel filter, air filter, trans/diff fluids etc been replaced? Does it make any weird noises? Anything disconnected or broken under the hood? I get 18-22 in mixed driving, beating on it pretty hard (WOT from most stops and pull to redline often) and thats with 135,000 on it. Have you owned it from new? Did the fuel mileage suddenly drop?
May not be as bad as originally thought....I have literally had the car for 2.5 weeks and was basing fuel consumption off of the 15.9 gal capacity listed in the manual...however i just filled up and it only took about 13.5 gal which gives me an average mpg of 20.7 mpg better than what i had thought, i am going to monitor the situation with fuel consumption and see what i can get averaged over the next few weeks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.