Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester 5 speed
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 Forester X has recently dropped from about 300 miles per tank to about 240 per tank (the wife's ride so that's all I got), no other signs of trouble.. has about 47k miles on it ..

I replaced plugs and air filter, the fuel filter was not in stock at the local store, but will be changed when it comes in .. anything other basics I should be checking/R&R'ing ? any common causes I should look into ?

TIA

·
Registered
2013 Forester 5 speed
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2nd winter .. but we have been in a bit of a cold spell the last few weeks .. it's supposed to be a bit warmer this week .. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it improves ..

makes sense though .. colder, denser air would need more fuel to maintain A/F ratio ..

·
Registered
2013 Forester 5 speed
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also recently bought a cheapy OBDII to USB diagnostic hardware setup for my laptop (can run real-time), anything I should/could check .. maybe get more use out of the thing than just reading/resetting codes ..

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Make sure your plugs are good, oxygen sensors are working correctly, and your air filter is clean.

For me it is the crappy oxygenated winter gas and the taller winter tires that does it for me every year.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 5 speed
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty sure I get the 'crappy oxegenated gas' year round (for some reason I'm NYC metro area, even though I'm 'bout 80 miles north) .. replaced plugs (what's the correct gap?) and air filter and neither looked bad enough to be causing problems ..

·
Registered
2013 Forester 5 speed
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should I replace the pcv valve while I'm at it? I don't see any mention of it in the 'maintenance schedule' .. where did suby put that thing anyway, I don't see it ..

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Here's a link. You have to register to see the pictures, but registration is free:

http://www.scoobymods.com/pcv_valve-t16.html?t=16&highlight=pcv

BTW, I live in northern NJ and travel to Westchester, Dutchess and Putnam regularly. YES you have oxygenated gas in the winter months. From sometime in Oct to late March. early April.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 5 speed
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a link. You have to register to see the pictures, but registration is free:

BTW, I live in northern NJ and travel to Westchester, Dutchess and Putnam regularly. YES you have oxygenated gas in the winter months. From sometime in Oct to late March. early April.
guess I was registerd at scoobymods, pics came right up .. never seen a threaded pcv, was looking for the typ slip in jobbie .. was probably looking right at it ..

and when I travel to NNJ (campmor for me, IKEA for the wife, and then White Castle in Nanuet) I fill 'er up, as gas is typ 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper ..

thanks ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts