Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
07 Forester X manual
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas light came on today while my guage was pointing at "E" and then 10 miles later my Subaru started to run out of gas. Is this how that light should work?

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
It depends. It will come on when pointing (I think) downhill, and go off when level or up hill. Why? It come on when there is xx% remaining. Depending on the angle of the car, the gas pools differently around the float in the tank, and will change its response. You may need to drive another 10-30 miles to get it to come back on. There is a delay before it comes on or off, so short changes in attitude don't make it flash. You can normally run a fairly long way, as Kevin said before you run out of gas.

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
5,892 Posts
I've launched hard enough that the gas light will come on and a 1/4 tank. Of course then shut off after a few minutes.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I think it is suppose to come on when there is two gallons of fuel left in the gas tank, my light has never came on and I've had to put in over 13 gallons to fill it before :/

·
Registered
07 Forester X manual
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going down a hill it suddenly hesitated so I pulled a u-turn and found a gas station. It took 1X.5 gallons...

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
That X is a very important number. If X=1, something is wrong. If X=9, I want your gas tank!

My light comes on when I need to put between 13.7 and 14 gallons in.

The most gas I've ever put in was 14.4 gallons. I routinely put about 13 to 14 gallons in.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Derm isn't the forester's gas tank only around 14.4 gallons?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Definately not, apparently. Unless the pump is lying, of course. I'll take a pic next time I get more than 14.4 gallons in.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I had that happen to me once. Now i'm paranoid about letting the fuel light come on.

For anyone in the DC area, my light came on at the inner-loop Conneticut Ave, and my car ran out of gas at the Rt 198 exit on I-95 north.

Light came on at green flag (lower left) literally ran out of gas at red flag (upper right)

·
Registered
1999 forester s
144 Posts
I'm testing mine..... got a spare gallon jug of gas in my forester, the light just came on, and I'm seeing how far I can go. :)

·
Registered
2007 Forester X-Premium
31 Posts
I'm testing mine..... got a spare gallon jug of gas in my forester, the light just came on, and I'm seeing how far I can go. :)

Wow, you are still going? :banana:

I'm on a 3rd tank of my brand new 2007 X. I ran out of gas less than 15 miles after the low fuel light went on. Engine started cutting off. I stalled at a traffic light but was able to start again and pull into gas station. The gas tank took in 14.9 gallons.

·
Administrator
16,040 Posts
Nope, I can do about 60 miles after the light comes on. Was the car heavily loaded - that can make a difference.
A couple of weekends ago, in the rain, in heavy highway traffic - and counting on my 60 miles / 100 kilometres after the light comes on - I ran out at 26 miles / 42 K. :icon_mad:

So there I was pouring in fuel right beside the highway trying not to get showered or run over by passing trucks! (At least with LH drive your fuel filler is away from passing traffic!)

I blame all the grey nomads with caravans that I had to overtake :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts