Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
nice! hopefully this deal is still around when Uncle Sam kicks back...damn I need to file my taxes early!

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe we can get a group (or is it Gruppe?) buy and beat this price!!! (hint)

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
GatorXT said:
Maybe we can get a group (or is it Gruppe?) buy and beat this price!!! (hint)
a "gruppe" buy would be bad for us Cali guys...sales tax sucks!

J

·
0 Posts
Hey guys,

While we are excited to see everyone anxious to get their hands on an AccessPORT, we do have policies set in place to protect our amazing and reliable dealer network from undercutting each other's pricing structure. This is to keep Vendors working together as one big happy Subaru community with no Internet pricing wars. Dealers that can work together for the greater good of the community, get things done, and make enthusiasts like you and me, happy! Working against each other with posts such as "PM for pricing", only undermines the intentions toward each other. While Boxer4racing did not have any bad intentions, it can come off this way to other dealers that they do not have direct communication with. Needless to say, things are now as they should be, and there are no hard feelings.

Thank you again for all your support and enthusiasm.

Justin
COBB Tuning
www.cobbtuning.com

For Sale: 2004 COBB Forester XT
Modification list to long, please email for information
sales at cobbtuning dot com

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW......sorry guys

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Thanks alot....I was planning to buy from them since they are local to me in NC.
Even with sales tax I would be getting it for less than the $645 listed price. Honestly, how can dealers be competitive if their pricing is controlled by Wal-Mart, I mean the people they buy from. Maybe it is all good in the end I don't know, however I would never sell accessports simply because you want to dictate the price at which they are sold. What it boils down to is you do not want anyone selling them for less than what you have them listed at on your site. This way people will purchase more from you simply because you are Cobb.
Then on the other hand, it is a list price that is subject to change without your knowledge.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
sounds to me like cobb needs to be the soul proprieter of the AP's if they need to control pricing this badly...bad move IMO, Ecutek for me :(

why the extra $45 more for an XT AP rather than a wrx AP? you figure it out...same parts, different internals but in the end, its the same product. just because something is "newer" doesnt mean it should command a 10% price increase.

boxer4racing.com was smart, they could probably sell 2x-3x more units at that price and make a larger profit in the end...cobb doesnt see it like this which baffles me. In the end, the profit goes to Cobb because more units are sold...its not like they're changing their wholesale prices. right?

·
Skeptic
2004 XT
69 Posts
Wow, glad I ordered mine back in December at the lower price.... ;)

This is the same sort of price control policy that Apple uses for their iPods and Macs - and essentially for the same reasons (to preserve their own direct sales). Not a bad thing in itself, just an interesting facet of capitalism at work (price/demand/supply dependencies moved to the extreme benefit of the supplier).

For what it's worth, I would have still bought mine from boxer4racing since I like to help out my "local" suby performance shop.

cheers,
Scott

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
DOHCammin said:
sounds to me like cobb needs to be the soul proprieter of the AP's if they need to control pricing this badly...bad move IMO, Ecutek for me :(

why the extra $45 more for an XT AP rather than a wrx AP? you figure it out...same parts, different internals but in the end, its the same product. just because something is "newer" doesnt mean it should command a 10% price increase.

boxer4racing.com was smart, they could probably sell 2x-3x more units at that price and make a larger profit in the end...cobb doesnt see it like this which baffles me. In the end, the profit goes to Cobb because more units are sold...its not like they're changing their wholesale prices. right?
I can answer this one:

The dealers of almost ANY manufacturer are under pricing guidelines which protect the value of the product they're selling. If you'll notice, for instance, any AUTHORIZED dealer of Prodrive must be selling their product at the same price as any other AUTHORIZED dealer. While we can promote our product with FREE SHIPPING offers, we are not allowed to lower the prices on the merchandise, unless specifically authorized by Prodrive. This ensures that the Prodrive product maintains its value in the market.

The same works for Cobb and any other manufacturer in the market. If you start discounting the product and start lowering the margins, then you de-value the product, and no one is going to be willing to pay the MSRP again.

Case in point: Chevrolet and Ford - remember the "Employee Pricing" promotion? Hmm. Now people aren't willing to buy cars at the inflated MSRP, and now they're revolting against the invoice pricing. I read in the newspaper the other day that Ford is reviewing their entire pricing structure in order to price their vehicles more realistically, so they don't have to offer rebates, incentive monies, etc. to get customers.

Smaller manufacturers don't have the option of reviewing their pricing structure...most of them have very carefully chosen the pricing in the first place to sell the product and compensate them for their costs, plus a fair and reasonable profit. Having a dealer network to support them merely aids in distributing their product in a timely manner. It also aids them by freeing up their time to develop more products for market, since they are not having to deal with the time consuming task of shipping one part out to one individual, which can take up a lot of time when you have 80 to 100 customers per day.

Personally, I would like to see Cobb review their pricing for the Forester XT AccessPort, and bring it more into line with the WRX AccessPort pricing. However, since I'm not a dealer of theirs, I don't have any say in what they charge in either the wholesale or retail market.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Either way, I think the price of the AP is very fair compared to other alternatives. Take ECUTEK for example... You get a tune and a license for 700 dollars and that's all you get. With the AP you get so much more and more possibilities. Sure it would be great if prices were lower but you have to make sure Cobb stays in business too. They need money to keep the great minds they have working for them on their staff. I wonder how much Christian makes a year.. hehe. In the end, it's a business guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Roo said:
Personally, I would like to see Cobb review their pricing for the Forester XT AccessPort, and bring it more into line with the WRX AccessPort pricing. However, since I'm not a dealer of theirs, I don't have any say in what they charge in either the wholesale or retail market.
FYI, this is not possible since the FXT AccessPORT cost significantly more to produce, thus the higher MSRP. In fact, the additional cost is greater than the price increase from WRX to FXT AP. This is a business miss-calculation we made, but have chosen to stick with it so we do not upset existing clients. We do our best, but from what I can read above it sounds like we cannot keep everyone happy.

Take care,
Christian.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Christian. said:
FYI, this is not possible since the FXT AccessPORT cost significantly more to produce, thus the higher MSRP. In fact, the additional cost is greater than the price increase from WRX to FXT AP. This is a business miss-calculation we made, but have chosen to stick with it so we do not upset existing clients. We do our best, but from what I can read above it sounds like we cannot keep everyone happy.

Take care,
Christian.
thank you for clearing up the reason for the price difference in the wrx and FXT AP.

I agree the Cobb AP is still a good value compared to UTEC and Ecutek and hopefully, the FXT support can grow even more!

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I think Cobb should come out with a 16g map. The 16g is the natural alternative to the VF3x series.. ;) Ahem..

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I think Cobb should come out with a 16g map. The 16g is the natural alternative to the VF3x series.. ;) Ahem..
I thought you already had a Protuned 16G map that you could share. :)

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I'm all for a map made by Christian for free.. =P My 16G map is till being tweaked by Jorge. Trying to get rid of the overboost problem in 5th.

TAGXT04 said:
I thought you already had a Protuned 16G map that you could share. :)

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I'm all for a map made by Christian for free.. =P My 16G map is till being tweaked by Jorge. Trying to get rid of the overboost problem in 5th.
And people wonder why our Cobb shelf maps are considered conservative... :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts