Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just letting you know that there are now more bolt on turbo upgrades available. As you know the 09+ FXT shares the same turbo/IC layout as the 05-09' LGT/OBXT and 08'+ WRX. VF52 is a good IHI bolt-on upgrade for you 09+ owners, and now BNR has made the following: (I think they do require a VF40 core though)

EVO 16g/TD05H $700
18g/TD05H $750
20G/TD05H $800
20G/TD06 $950

(compressor wheels (VF40, EVO 16G, 18G, 20G))

The whole (LONG) thread here: Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Subaru Legacy Forums

Again, just spreading the word on this as a potential upgrade for you 09+ FXT owners looking to lose the TD04. I know I am anxiously awaiting to hear the results of either the 16G or 18G for my own ride...

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
So i'm new to the Subaru world. How reliable will your car be after one of these upgrades? Also will the 4eat be able to handle this increase okay? What is required to support this mod ie. intercooler and tune I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I know I am anxiously awaiting to hear the results of either the 16G or 18G for my own ride...
I'm also curious about the 18g. One of my favorite turbos. But a LOT of the turbo depends on the housing, so I'd like to see pics of that as well.

I wonder how it will do against the AVO380. The AVO certainly costs enough!

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
If they require a core then they will mill out the stock turbo's compressor side housing., I build a hybrid back in 2002 for my SR20DET T28(GTiR turbo) with t25 compressor side. All I did was mill it out and bolt it up.

Assuming thats what they do, your still only as relieable as the VF40 that it started with. And the larger the compressor wheel, the more lag.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo newbie question:

If you swap the turbo do you need to swap the IC?
These turbos will work with your stock TMIC, though it would be a good idea to upgrade to a better TMIC or FMIC to handle the increase in boost. I know on the LGT there has been a lot of cases of the plastic endtanks on the stock TMIC blowing apart at stage 2 boost levels.

So i'm new to the Subaru world. How reliable will your car be after one of these upgrades? Also will the 4eat be able to handle this increase okay? What is required to support this mod ie. intercooler and tune I suppose.
Car should be plenty reliable. There are some members that have put the 16G on their 5EATs with no problems so far. That being said, I couldn't say for sure how a 4EAT would handle 20G power. Transmission cooler would be a good idea to keep transmission fluid cool.

Supporting modifications would be; upgraded TMIC, and a TBE or at least a DP, and a tune. There are a couple people running the 16G with very minimal mods (gutted cats, tune). The 16G is the only one that could be run on stock fueling (but even then you are leaving power on the table). The rest require an upgraded fuel pump and injectors.

If they require a core then they will mill out the stock turbo's compressor side housing., I build a hybrid back in 2002 for my SR20DET T28(GTiR turbo) with t25 compressor side. All I did was mill it out and bolt it up.

Assuming thats what they do, your still only as relieable as the VF40 that it started with. And the larger the compressor wheel, the more lag.
Bryan addresses the reliability question in the thread. Looks like he only re-uses the actuator, water lines, and oil return lines. He can use any VF series turbo as the core.

Anyways just wanted to bump this thread back up since BNR has been pumping out a lot of these turbos. Some dyno charts, and driving impressions have been posted.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
good choice id rather have a vf52, but i likea oem finish. plus its much better than a huge wheel crammed in a tiny turbo housing...

·
Registered
2010 FXT Premium
16 Posts
Awesome thread. We just need to have some projects started...with our fxt's.
I want to confirm all the parts needed for the turbo upgrade. In this case, I am looking at the turbo below but, need to know what other items I need in order to have the car running properly. On a second opinion, should I wait for a VF series instead?

18G/TD05H-Price $770 USD

The 3rd option is the 20G/TD05H. This turbocharger is good up to around 24 psi. After that, the turbine will not be able to keep up with the compressor wheel in flow. The compressor flows 44 lb/min, but the max power is restricted by the TD05H turbine wheel. Turbocharger max rate is 410 BHP. But on E85 at 24 psi dropping to 20 psi this turbocharger has made an incredible 384.9 AWHP at 5200 ft. elevation!

·
Registered
09 FXT on e85 AT
478 Posts
I've been using a vf52 for quite sometime now. (July 2009) With my current tune using Ecuflash, we got around 255 whp and 304 lbs/ft on a dynojet with 93 octane (our fuel equivalent to what you guys have). 650cc DW injectors were optional but I went for it since the lgt guys did it this way. I can go past 255 as there's some flow issue we see in the dyno. I'll list out what I have here if you guys want to help. (Im already a bit out of topic, hehe)

As for fuel pumps, recommendation was for a walbro. Thats what I got and have it installed with a bracked cnc machined by cj motors. However I believe you can do it with a sti fuel pump. Our stock fxt pump is 155 l/hr while the sti 08 is 175 l/hr. Its a direct replacement, no more bracket and dremel involved. You may be lucky to get it used at a far cheaper price!

To compliment the vf52, easiest bolt on tmic is the avo v2 tmic. I have some install tips for this. You can also check out what process west have for us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts