Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally.............got on for this quandry :D

I have noticed of late that there are alot of STi UTEC floating around NASIOC and wanted to know if this is a decent route to go. I have seen them with remote for about $500. There is a local tuner for UTEC and the others are a bit of a drive; AP (JAX) ECUTEC (Atlanta).

I was heading down the AP path but with the price and the tuner convenience it seems I should throw it on the wall in here and see if it sticks. 8)

Thx for your time

Formerly subienow........we are doing to good in basketball not to change my name :wink:

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
UTEC's don't compensate for weather. EcuTEK is a set it and forget it whereas the UTEC needs contant attention.

FWIW: Once every couple of months one of the Atlanta tuners (Doug from TopSpeed or Scott Siegel of SOG/SR) make their way to the Tampa Bay area. In fact, Scott will be here next week and has an open slot at 4pm on Friday. He is the guy who tuned both slizan99 and myself...

PS: I bet those who are selling decided on getting an EcuTEK tune. :lol:

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EcuTek, even though set-it-forget-it, can compensate for weather?

UTEC weather variables would just require selecting another (tuner) map for the weather change, correct?

Thx Snowman

P.S. Friday is a little soon for me but keep me in mind for future visits

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I just recently had a buddy offer me a great deal on his UTEC after he had crashed his Sti. I spoke with Nathan over at TXS and he told me that it would absolutley work, but that there were no "canned" maps for the Fxt. He said that if I had the VF39 and Sti TMIC, that he could provide a decent base map, even with the stock FXt fuel pump.

If you want to read a bit further, I think there are some posts over on Nasioc that deal directly with the FXt and the UTEC. After you read those you will have a better understanding of some of the issues involved in setting up a new map and being the test mule.

Bottom line is if you lived close to a tuner who knows the UTEC inside and out, I think it could be a good option. If you are going the VF39/STi path, then you might be able to run an off-the-shelf base map as well. I certainly wouldn't want to bank on it, because of the variations you might get car-to-car, but thats what I have been told, and i will pass it along.

Jeff

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been a UTEC fan since day one because I got a great tune. It has literally been a set it and forget type of thing.

BUT - my tuner has now convinced me to go with the COBB street tuner series. Basically I will still have maps but based on my current tune he can make the car much better all around. He says that even though I am happy now, my car will be much better off all around with the COBB.

Will post more as the time comes closer.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
huh? my UTEC has a weather compensation parameter :confused:

ecutec is set it and forget it as long as you don't change anything, then you have to pay for a retune

SnowMan said:
UTEC's don't compensate for weather. EcuTEK is a set it and forget it whereas the UTEC needs contant attention.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I would bet you money that if they went the flash route, it was AP not ECUTEK.. =P

SnowMan said:
PS: I bet those who are selling decided on getting an EcuTEK tune. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Keep me posted. I was thinking of getting ST from XX. Possibly drive up there with my laptop, get it all installed and have Tony jump in the car with my laptop to make me a good base map or something.

Is your engine still running healthy with all that power? =)

sleeper_xt said:
I have been a UTEC fan since day one because I got a great tune. It has literally been a set it and forget type of thing.

BUT - my tuner has now convinced me to go with the COBB street tuner series. Basically I will still have maps but based on my current tune he can make the car much better all around. He says that even though I am happy now, my car will be much better off all around with the COBB.

Will post more as the time comes closer.

Kevin

·
Registered
59 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
Keep me posted. I was thinking of getting ST from XX. Possibly drive up there with my laptop, get it all installed and have Tony jump in the car with my laptop to make me a good base map or something.

Is your engine still running healthy with all that power? =)

Tony and XX are now huge fans of the Cobb Access port with maps. They say the performance will be so much better not to mention mileage, error codes are gone, and emissions will be passed.

I am going that route as soon as I can raise the money to do it.

Kevin

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
Philistine said:
huh? my UTEC has a weather compensation parameter :confused:

ecutec is set it and forget it as long as you don't change anything, then you have to pay for a retune
Thats just what I've heard/read. Maybe more UTEC owners should speak up against the mis-information. Thanks for setting me straight. Anyway, as for EcuTEK re-tunes my last one was free but normally they run anywhere from $80-$120 per hour (depending on the tuner).

As for UTEC protection, are all the ECU protection factors still in place or are they bypassed? ie Overboost due to weather changes because thats the biggest complaint I've heard caused by UTEC.

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
they are still in place and enhanced - I got a small knock yesterday (cold weather or bad gas) and the UTEC automatically retarted the timing a bit

SnowMan said:
As for UTEC protection, are all the ECU protection factors still in place or are they bypassed? ie Overboost due to weather changes because thats the biggest complaint I've heard caused by UTEC.

·
Registered
859 Posts
AFAIK, UTEC cannot scan/clear error codes which is a big plus with the AP. The main advantage the UTEC has is the ability to use a bigger map sensor. This is in the works for the AP though.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
I have no regrets getting the UTEC over teh AP

1) I got it and a laptop for like $475 shipped
2) You can tune it with a laptop without buying any additional software and the tune holds consistent boost and AFR (see below)
3) It has a remote map switch so I can switch from my 18 psi pump gas map to a 21 psi 104 octane map on teh fly
4) The guys with APs run really rich down here and there is no one here to tune them (unless they buy street tuner)
5) The guys with APs had AFRs that varied from pull to pull during the dyno day

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
For me it bolied down to choices as well.
No pro-tuners available in the area at the time, so the AP was out.
Seeing as I wanted a VF3X sized turbo, I could either go for a STi ECU and leave 60ish WHP on the table or spend a few dollars more for a custom EcuTEK road tune for $850.

Road tune it was

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
The guys at PDX are great and do a fantastic job of road tuning and servicing their product. Jarad comes down to Texas a few times a year just to do road/dyno tunes.

Howerver, if you change anything, they either have to reflash it for you or re-road tune it, which can be a PITA.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
I live right around the corner from TXS here in MD. I know Nathan, Jermaine and Mark and they all do great work/tuning. But all of the people I know with Utec all have 4-5 maps that they must flip to depending on the weather. they are constantly doing data logs and what not and tinkering. I decided to go with ecutek from Kingpin when I did mine. I did mail order and my tune was really good considering they never even saw my car. This time however I am doing an AP. There is not really anyone local but there are guys that come out here enough that I can get something set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts