Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally get my new FXT 14. But, I feel that the suspension seems to have lots of vertical movements even over normal road irregularities (compared to outback). Can installing a 19mm RSB help? Or any other options?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
271 Posts
Quite a few people have said the tire pressure was way too high when they got theirs >45 psi. Try checking that. It also has a shorter wheel base, thinner tires, stiffer suspension, and harder seats compared to the Outback, so there's that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite a few people have said the tire pressure was way too high when they got theirs >45 psi. Try checking that. It also has a shorter wheel base, thinner tires, stiffer suspension, and harder seats compared to the Outback, so there's that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I did checked the tire pressure at dealership. All of them are 42psi. So, I released some air and made the front tires at 38 psi and rear at 37 psi (now, it is very cold in Chicago).

I find the seats are very comfortable maybe due to the seating position.

I feel the vertical movement is from suspension. I do not think forester XT is stiffer than 2013+ outback. Actually, I think FXT is softer. Maybe 19mm RSB can help?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
A sway bar won't help with vertical movements... it can only control body roll in turns.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
81 Posts
I like my 14 FXT because of its firm suspension and damping. I have driven a relative's 13 Outback and felt seasick- it's very soft, poorly damped, with lots of roll. The FXT is significantly firmer and more precise than the 14 2.5 Forester. For me, the firmness is exactly what I want, but I understand how some people might prefer a softer ride.

You might be able to soften it a bit with a softer sidewall tire, like a passenger car Touring spec. The stock Bridgestones are actually a truck tire and have pretty stiff sidewalls.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester XT CVT
22 Posts
I noticed this too and found lots of reference in car reviews about the low-speed ride quality in the Forester. Most reviewers say similar things about other makes of car. Its a suspension tuning compromise and there's only so much one suspension tune can do.

I find that the simplest solution is to SPEED UP. (If possible of course). My family concurs that going over the same small bump at 40kmh is more comfortable than at 10kmh, At 10kmh, you can feel the car "climbing" over the bump. At 40kmh, it just soaks it up and irons over it.

Thats my very layperson, non-technical explanation.

Jason.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
For smaller bumps tires make a huge difference. Firstly, for FXT the psi should be much lower, IIRC 33/32.

To dampen small bumps even more change tires and/or switch to 17" wheels.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For smaller bumps tires make a huge difference. Firstly, for FXT the psi should be much lower, IIRC 33/32.

Ok, I will try to lower psi. but change to 17" wheels is impossible :)

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
80 Posts
This is my biggest gripe about the XT. The car is very rough going over small bumps at low speed. For higher speeds or bigger bumps it is very smooth. Can more progressive springs help?

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
132 Posts

I keep with the specs (33/32 psi) and feel comfortable. But I also had 1 time 3 people on the back seats and a lady complained she felt a little bit sick (I was driving slower than usually in this case).

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
81 Posts
Honestly, the firm and well damped suspension on the XT makes it handle better than the 2.5i. That's one of the major reasons I bought the XT. I have never had a rear seat passenger complain about the ride.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
The '14 XT springs are 10% stiffer in the front and 20% stiffer in the rear than the 2.5i models, so there's the possibility of swapping in a set of 2.5i springs for those who find the ride too harsh.

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
comparing the 09 to 14 i find the 14xt really has a stiff ride, in my opinion if i was the driver id choose the 14, if passenger it will be the 09 :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts