Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around the purchase of a Forester XT for some time now but I'm consistenly held up by the car's fuel mileage numbers. I'm looking at the manual transmission, hopefully an '05.

My refernence cars are the girlfriend's Saab 9-3 and my Ford Focus SVT. The 2003 Saab 2.0T gets 33+ mpg using regular gas (instead of the recommended premium). My 2003 FSVT can get 30-33 on the highway if I run straight highway at 65mph. Around town I get approximately 20mpg, so overall mixed-use I get 25 mpg (premium unleaded).

I was tracking the mileage thread on the old SF.com before it went down so i was hoping some return members could post their experiences in this thread.

I've also posted in the Turbo Tuning thread where there's some light discussion about the Cobb Tuning Economy Mode.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peaty, I had been tracking your numbers. Those mileage numbers look painful to me! I am awfully concerned about buying the FXT and getting such poor numbers.

I have drastically toned down my driving from my past, so on the highway I drive 65-70mph, typically with the cruise on. Thankfully, my yearly driving will drop from what it used to be, but low 20s mixed driving looks painful.

I just don't know...I'm definitely letting this hold up my attempt at purchasing one of the few 2005 manual transmission vehicles left!

Thanks again, great info!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
64 Posts
... have an 06 FXT automatic. Both my wife & I drive conservatively; however, I must admit she tends to get onto the Interstates faster than me.

We drove from VA Beach to Tampa and back over Thanksgiving. Average mileage was 27 MPG.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
I won't lie to you, a lot of people get between 18 - 22 MPG's. I've used the Cobb Economy mode and that only helps maybe 1 - 3 MPG more. The economy mode forces you to drive easy by limiting boost. With self control you can do that yourself though. Good fuel economy is not the strong point for the Forester XT 04 - 05. This is in part because the final drive is 4.444 which makes it very short legged . The 06 MY has changed that however and may make matters better. But, it will also not be as quick. I got the XT for other reasons than the MPG's though. Considering I can hit the 1/4 mile in the mid 13's it gets great mileage :)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,472 Posts
20 mpg with mixed driving
17-18 mpg with a heavy foot
22 mpg with mostly freeway driving and some cruise control

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Peaty said:
I got the XT for other reasons than the MPG's though. Considering I can hit the 1/4 mile in the mid 13's it gets great mileage :)
Yup, high performance and good mileage are not usually spoken in the same sentence. That is unless of course you swap in a STi six speed. Hey and then you can go to a rotated mount turbo and FMIC and, and.

Yes 18-22MPG is reality and it will get better but you'll be mostly out of boost shortshifting before 3K. Basically you'll need to drive it like a grandma if you don't mind. I do. :twisted:

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
JMI-

The FXT is probably not for you...the only way you'll know is to test drive one, ALONE.
Upon returning it, if you're not talking SMILEAGE :D :lol: :wink: , you might wanna look elsewhere for Mileage...

-Quick (and liking my FXT, even if the best it can do is 27mpg, it gets GREAT SMILEAGE!!!!)

X

·
0 Posts
This is my response to a point raised that is now in the engine section. Figures have been gained by brimming tank at refuels and converting lt to gall at ratio of 4.54 lt to 1 gall. This was also the case with the Audi (A4 1.9tdi - 130). Im not a hard driver though have been told not the smoothest either, so far the mileage has been a very real surprise.

I haven't a clue what an access point is, but as the subject of mileage is raised I thought I'd drop in and say the mpg from my 2.5XTn has been a pleasant surprise.

I purchased it in Dec anticipating 22-25mpg (imperial) - so far it has returned 25-27 mpg and on one run avaraged 30. An imperial gallon equals 1.2 US gallons

Living in the land of the $8 gallon (approx) and having a job that had me driving 30k a year I had no choice but to run a diesel, it was an Audi, gave 46-48mpg and was hardly shabby. Now I do less than 10k/year so could afford a thirstier car.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
pleiad7 said:
20 mpg with mixed driving
14-19 mpg with a heavy foot
22 mpg with mostly freeway driving and some cruise control
Fixored...

...remember 18x miles to the 14 gallon tank (Northbay/Fairfield run)??

:twisted: :twisted:

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Xantia56 said:
I haven't a clue what an access point is, but as the subject of mileage is raised I thought I'd drop in and say the mpg from my 2.5XTn has been a pleasant surprise.
an AccessPort is a tuning solution which plugs into your diagnostics port (OBDII), and reprograms your ECU in order to change values in the timing and fuel delivery. I'm sure it's more complex than that, but I'll let Justin explain it further if need be.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I got 28 MPG on a recent trip at 100 kph (62 MPH) but probably get 20 mpg around town.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quicksilver said:
JMI-

The FXT is probably not for you...the only way you'll know is to test drive one, ALONE.
Upon returning it, if you're not talking SMILEAGE :D :lol: :wink: , you might wanna look elsewhere for Mileage...

-Quick (and liking my FXT, even if the best it can do is 27mpg, it gets GREAT SMILEAGE!!!!)
I drove it, and really loved it. I wasn't alone, but I drove it the way I wanted to (lead-footed). I don't mind 20 mpg around town at all, I just want to be able to get a pretty decent run when I'm driving steady-state on the freeway.

Since I don't plant the throttle like I used to, I need some economy (especially just starting grad school and not having a job!).

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
The best I have ever been able to get was 24, constant 60MPH. I would say 17 - 18 in the city and 20 - 22 highway are my averages. Keep in mind we suffer the "CRAP" fuel out west. 91 Octane is premium, unless we mix in racing fuel.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
Best I ever got was 24 mpg during a slow 65mph cruise of 200 miles.

Typical mileage around town is 16-17 during the summer and 14-16 during the winter on reformulated gas. My around town is 100% stop and go.

On the few times I've got to do a real mix my average went to about 18. On my last 200 mile trip @ 75+ mph, on winter gas I got 22 mph.

C

·
0 Posts
Dave T said:
I got 28 MPG on a recent trip at 100 kph (62 MPH) but probably get 20 mpg around town.
US Gallons are a lot smaller than our ozzie real Imperial Gallons.

1.2009 US gallon = 1.00 Imp gallon

so 28 mpg (Imperial) = 23.3 mpg (US).

In contrast, out heavily loaded '05 X auto (2.5 l motor), with a large roofbox, got 33 mpg on a trip to Lake Eyre - which amounts to 27.5 US mpg.

cheers,

Mat

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems like everyone is getting at or below 20 mpg in the city.
I used to worry my car was getting bad mileage, but not anymore.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
lfdal said:
Best I ever got was 24 mpg during a slow 65mph cruise of 200 miles.

Typical mileage around town is 16-17 during the summer and 14-16 during the winter on reformulated gas. My around town is 100% stop and go.

On the few times I've got to do a real mix my average went to about 18. On my last 200 mile trip @ 75+ mph, on winter gas I got 22 mph.
The pain, the pain. It can't be that bad.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
No, its really not that bad given the enjoyment I get driving my FXT. I consider it a reasonable trade off. Not to say I wouldn't like a few more mpgs....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts