Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking at these for a WHILE and really never thought I'd get my hands on one... I guess I'll start a thread, because I'm sure over time this thing WILL get meddled with haha.... I'm no noob to soobs OR building cars. Heres a link to my Loyale build thread for an idea of how I like 'em. FINALLY!! found the one I've been looking for. - Members Rides - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For starters. Its a 2004, 5mt, 129,000 miles, bought it at a dealership in Bellevue WA for $7000. They had it advertised for $8900, I called on it cuz I've been looking for one and have been more serious lately. The salesman took my info and I scheduled a time to go look at it. He called me shortly after, said it went thru their shop, and that they couldn't sell it because it didn't pass the mechanical inspection. He said it had a weak clutch, leaky turbo, and smelled like burning oil. I said I didn't care and was still interested. After a lil haggling we settled on the price and I drove it home a few days later. Turns out the car is already on stock WRX springs/struts and has an STI catback.

I put a new Exedy clutch kit, an ACT streetlight FW (bought off a forum for $100 shipped), new front rotors, a full Gates timing kit, new NGK spark plugs, an OEM 06 STI up-pipe, a de-catted 3" SS down pipe (CL score for $25!), and replaced the pass side valve cover seal (the "leaky turbo" haha). I also put 06 STI springs on the front struts which brought the front down a lil more to cure the saggy-butt and give it the rake I like.

Throwing a dart I think I'm into it a total of around $8400 which includes tax/license and all the parts I bought, I installed them myself cuz I'm good like that.....

I intend to address the handling more than anything else, remove x-member spacers, RSB, lateral links, strut tower bars and possibly STI control arms. I'd like to put a VF series turbo, injectors, and a larger top mount too at some point, but for a while it will just be the exhaust and a tune.

Heres a pic

·
Registered
2001 Sorta Frush Forester 4EAT
1,779 Posts
love the red on these FXT's car looks like a good overall shell! cant wait to see whats in store :)

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
May I suggest plastidip the rims black or gold? I think that would look awesome that way. Nice deal overall.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice find. That thing looks incredibly clean! Gotta love west coast cars.
It actually started in NJ, carfax says it was auctioned in NJ 10/08 and registered in WA 3/09 w/63,000 miles. There is some rust on the undercarriage hardware and I broke a couple exhaust bolts. It's not really bad tho, I've seen MUCH worse.

May I suggest plastidip the rims black or gold? I think that would look awesome that way. Nice deal overall.
I'm gonna get some 17's hopefully sooner than later. First thought is gold, BUT, now I'm thinking a dark color I'd really like to match the color of the mirrors, c-pillar, and hatch garnish.... I think it would tie it all together nicely. Maybe a hyper black or something IDK....

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I've done some things......

Stop sign skid plate!
Wheels, 17x8 48 offset, 235/50 tires...
STI front springs on WRX struts
STI rear springs/struts
STI rear sway, whiteline bushings, with home made LLWS brackets and ebay end links
STI cat back with resonator removed

PICTARS!!!! ;-)

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ditched the 235's already.... They rubbed on hard cornering, and were ridiculously LOUD.... They were Potenza Grid 019's for the record....

Went and got a fresh alignment today and brand new 225/50 Yokohama YK580's today....

The slight difference in tire size is a HUGE difference in fitment.... Also my STI TMIC showed up today, it goes in the pile of future mods....

Pic w the 225/50's

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
De-pinstriped it the other day, picked up a COBB catted DP, gettin an AP tomorrow, gonna be stage 2 in less than 24 HRS.....

Found a crack in the radiator, was considering all aluminum, but its jus not in the budget today, got a stocker on the way for $59, cant beat that for now.....

Definitely coming along... SUPER pleased w how it handles/drives....

·
Registered
2015 WRX Premium 6 MT
161 Posts
Very nice! Sounds like you scored quite a deal with that thing. Can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a good price on the radiator, esp for being in a pinch. Is it new?
Yeah it's new, but the quality is up in the air. It's an ebay vendor so who knows… I made an offer and they took it so we'll see. I figure it'll work for now, I will likely end up with a mishimoto if/when this one pops. The mishi just isn't in the budget today….

On another note, I just installed a COBB catted DP, got an access port, and went OTS stage 2!! Woot woot!!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OH!! ALSO!!

Struck a deal on WRX shifter assembly, trans crossmember, steering joint, and driveline. All from the same car a guy is parting out. The subframe spacers will be coming out soon….

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm way jelly of your skid plate... I wanna copy that idea haha only if you don't mind of course
Haha NO!!!!

Pfft JK yeah!!

Thats the best form of appreciation of something you admire is to adopt the idea….

I take it as a compliment, so long as the sign is acquired in a legal and safe manner…..

Spencer

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
Haha NO!!!!

Pfft JK yeah!!

Thats the best form of appreciation of something you admire is to adopt the idea….

I take it as a compliment, so long as the sign is acquired in a legal and safe manner…..

Spencer
Awesome thanks! Of course safe and legal... always lol jk

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
Also, I just noticed you mentioned Bellevue... I'm moving to Seattle in January. (Hopefully working at Boeing) its gonna be a rough druve from anchirage but should be fun haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 90 Posts