Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

fxt coolant leak/ clamps suck

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  adc 
G
#1 ·
I noticed the other day that my coolant overflow bottle was empty. I looked around and found that it was leaking at the upper radiator hose (near the p/s pump, engine block side). I tried to tighten the clamp, but it was seized. I am thinking about replacing the subaru clamps with normal hose clamps. Has anyone else had problems with the hose clamps on Subarus?

04 Black fxt 5spd

#4 ·
I know there were some threads on the old site about this but I'm also concerned about the loss of coolant in my 04XT. I've never found a puddle under the car, but after a couple of thousand miles, I find myself having to top off with distilled water because the overflow tank is completely empty. If the cause is needing a better clamp then I feel a lot better. I was having nightmares thinking it might be a headgasket problem. Anybody else out there with experiencing this same problem.

#6 ·
Overlord said:
I know there were some threads on the old site about this but I'm also concerned about the loss of coolant in my 04XT. I've never found a puddle under the car, but after a couple of thousand miles, I find myself having to top off with distilled water because the overflow tank is completely empty. If the cause is needing a better clamp then I feel a lot better. I was having nightmares thinking it might be a headgasket problem. Anybody else out there with experiencing this same problem.
I have to top off the overflow tank every month or so on our 04XT. Took it in to the dealer and of course they didn't find anything.

#7 ·
Coolant Issues

Purdue

I've talked to a couple of other 04 XT owners and they have all mentioned having the same problem with loosing collant. If it really is just a leak due to a clamp as per the initial post then I'm okay with that, but what I'm concerned about is that it's a Head Gasket issue. I'm thinking about setting up a Poll just to see how many people are having a similar problem. What do you guys think? This is exactly the kind of problem that the dealer will screw you on and of course the sh*t hits the fan after you are out of the warranty period.

#9 ·
Purdue I'm thinking about setting up a Poll just to see how many people are having a similar problem. What do you guys think? This is exactly the kind of problem that the dealer will screw you on and of course the sh*t hits the fan after you are out of the warranty period.
IO think you need to do an oil analysis:
Blackstone Laboratories its really the best way. Who cares how many others are leaking. You are worrying only about yours.

As far as the clamps. The tension clamps are far superior to the screw hose clamps. They keep a more even tension. Also with screw clamps..invariably (unless you double clamp) they leak bc they squish the elasticity out of the rubber and then you are forced into overtightening them.

#8 ·
You are right about Subaru hose clamps sucking. Besides clamps on coolant hoses leaking I have had problems with the gas hoses leaking also. It usually happens when the weather first gets cold. I will start to smell gas and I know it is time to tighten the clamps. The wire clamps seem to put too much pressure on only a small part of the hose. I have changed to stainless steel band clamps and have not had the problems

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.