Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I apologize if this is a noob question, but I have a '04 FXT with an automatic transmission and the radiator has finally sprung a pinhole leak in the upper plastics. I'm looking for a replacement but would prefer to go with all metal if possible. I had looked at the Mishimoto performance aluminum radiator and it talked about needing an "optional transmission cooler" for automatic transmissions. I'm curious if I actually need the transmission cooler, or if it's just an aftermarket upgrade to what I currently have?

Any information on the cooler or other radiator recommendations are appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
I would go with Koyo over Mishimoto any day of the week, and yes, you will need an external transmission cooler with either one. You will lose the ability for the engine coolant to warm up the transmission fluid on cold days, but that's not such a big deal unless you use the cars for short trips in a cold climate.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
No problems with the original in my 2007, but I know it's only a matter of time. After some research - and wanting to retain transmission warming capability - this seems to be the best OEM style replacement;

Koyo Cooling W0133-1810518 Radiator | Auto Parts Warehouse

I will be doing this in the spring along with a coolant change.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
I would go with Koyo over Mishimoto any day of the week, and yes, you will need an external transmission cooler with either one. You will lose the ability for the engine coolant to warm up the transmission fluid on cold days, but that's not such a big deal unless you use the cars for short trips in a cold climate.
What makes Koyo better than Mishimoto?

·
Registered
2FXT Forester XT Limiteds 20104EAT 20044EAT
174 Posts
Mishimoto for me!

After driving around with a few pinhole rad leaks I went for the Mishimoto rad and I would have to say that this is a very nice item and I've seen a lot of nice items having dealt with Moto Corse in Japan for many years for special cycle parts made from aluminum and titanium for Ducati, Bimota and MV Agusta.

Straight forward installation even the 4eat cooler was a snap.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts