Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I always noticed some torque steer on our fxt, 51k, stage 2.5 but lately it's looser than a goose. The worst car I ever drove with TS was GLH turbe and this one is now equalling that one.

I punched it once tonight in a lane change and holding the wheel straight it, went 1/2 way into the center lane and then getting off it fast, it came back into the left lane. Any ideas? Can tire pressure alone make this much difference? Front tower bar(HUGE improvement in everything), sti rsb, legacy brakes and that's about it.

Bum steer in NY.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
maybe the steering rack bushings are shot, upgrade to the whitelines. stg2 power isnt that crazy to create tq steer problems, my guess is tire/suspension related... i also think that your strut bar isnt that big of a help, its probably in your head.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Could be a traction issue (tire-related), or perhaps your MPT clutch pack is starting to wear out and is not transferring as much power to the rear as it should?

My FXT torque-steers like a beast on hard acceleration. Never really noticed it until I did the VF39 upgrade, and then it was brutal. One of these days I'll get around to this mod: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/mpt-vtd-conversion-37441/

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Mines been doing it too lately. Just had the tranny fluid changed as well. Pretty sure its a combination of my balding snow tires, worn steering rack bushings, and my mpt slowly beginning to wear out. I've noticed lately in snow if i'm not in 1 or 2 it acts much more forward biased than it ever did before.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice replies. I notice it even under light/mod accel. It must be more than the tires/pressure. I'll try some dirt and see about the transfer-just had a trans flush also.

And perhaps I had something going on up front for a long time but the sti rsb AND the tower bar really planted this pogo stick car flat on its feet-like night and day. Now it's back to its wanderlust ways.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have the bushings sitting in the glovebox-been waiting to but a faster rack.

Is the Rock auto replacement Sti rack really an STi quick rack or just a standard rebuilt rack that fits the poor unsuspecting STi owner thinking he's getting the same ratio? Seems like an easy swap out if it's a real STi...I'd even settle for a wrx rack.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Out of curiosity, what tires are you running? I've had bad experiences with Kumho tires as far as the tendency to wander goes. It was so bad, I thought my steering rack bushings were worn or alignment was off, but the issue was purely with the tires and their horrible tracking characteristics. I steer clear of any Kumho products now (no pun intended)!

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
I thought these cars were immune to "torque steer" based on their symmetrical all wheel drive. Am I right or did I swallow Subaru's advertising gimmick hook, line, and sinker?

Mark

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I have no idea what anyone is talking about with torque steer. I'm very familiar with it (being that I used to have an older turbo FWD Dodge), but I've never once felt any sort of noticeable torque steer in my Foz.

I will say though that the steering like to buck a bit if you're driving and hit any sort of slush on the road. Kind of scary at first.....but I also have some steering/suspension issues I'm currently working out.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out of curiosity, what tires are you running? I've had bad experiences with Kumho tires as far as the tendency to wander goes. It was so bad, I thought my steering rack bushings were worn or alignment was off, but the issue was purely with the tires and their horrible tracking characteristics. I steer clear of any Kumho products now (no pun intended)!
I have some 80% worn Falken 512s. These never wandered on this car but they did on my low mile mark 8. This is not just on center stability-this is 1/2 lane pull, jerk the wheel like a Halibut on the line when hitting it mod-hard. It's quite disconcerting.

My old TC Chryslerati had full on TS after I sarge 2 that but that one would nearly lock like you'd removed the key-the XT is more soft in character-bushings sound like the culprit but only 51k on them?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I thought these cars were immune to "torque steer" based on their symmetrical all wheel drive. Am I right or did I swallow Subaru's advertising gimmick hook, line, and sinker?

Mark
The 04/05 AT trannys (maybe 06 too) had a 90/10 split most the time, so it does behave a little like a FWD car until the fronts slip and more power gets transfered to the rear.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
The 04/05 AT trannys (maybe 06 too) had a 90/10 split most the time, so it does behave a little like a FWD car until the fronts slip and more power gets transfered to the rear.
A.) That's wrong, torque split is constantly varying between 0:100 and 100:0 and B.) it's irrelevant. Torque steer is a product of unequal length drive axles. The Subaru drive axles are all the same length. So, if you experiencing some wierd steering issues, call it what you want, but it's not torque steer.

Mark

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
A.) That's wrong, torque split is constantly varying between 0:100 and 100:0 and B.) it's irrelevant. Torque steer is a product of unequal length drive axles. The Subaru drive axles are all the same length. So, if you experiencing some wierd steering issues, call it what you want, but it's not torque steer.

Mark
Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So when punching it and the steering wheel tugs right for a split second while the transfer box gets its bearings, even when brand new, is not TS?

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And remember the scene from Dr Doolittle when the one rat thinks he's having a heart attack and Doolittle makes him fart-' Ahh it was only gas...!" ? Well, I came out this AM to a rear flat tire...it was only gas, man...

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Ah.. so that's what it was. I had the same case two months ago.. little did I know I had run over a screw and was running about 20 psi instead of 35 and it was pulling to the left. So I went to check it and voila, screw. At least patching is free!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So when punching it and the steering wheel tugs right for a split second while the transfer box gets its bearings, even when brand new, is not TS?
Not actually torque steer. Basically whats going on is torque is getting sent side to side due to the open front differential. Real torque steer is when it always pulls one way due to the axles being different lenghts like on most long mounted FWD vehicles (civic etc).

The MPT based auto transmissions could really use a helical front LSD.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
That is correct, 'real' torque steer comes about from the differential inertia of the driveline to the 2 driven (or 4 driven) wheels, what you dsecribe is a steering reaction due to something at the tyre/road interface and while its commonly called torque steer, it is not.

True torque steer will be one way under positive torque (commonly to the right as that has the longer driveshaft in most FWD applications) and to the left under negative torque reactions.

I once had a car where I could pullout to overtake and pull back in again only using the torque steer, not turning the wheel at all (drive on the left remember), a somewhat pointless if amusing party trick!

Simon

·
Registered
2010 FXT slush-box
661 Posts
Holy Tire Pressure Guage Batman!

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but now I can add my 2c.

After some serious engine mods, I found the car pulling like a train. The problem was it wanted to go sideways as much as it went forward.

A quick check of the tires revealed 4 different pressures, with 5lb difference in the fronts. Evening these up ALMOST cured the problem.

I think what I'm feeling now is just the tires scrambling for grip. Next up to help will be dedicated summer tires.

Jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts