Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 200 miles from home and managed to run over a razor blade last night and put a sweet slash in my tire.:banana: I've read about the fuse you're supposed to put in when using a spare but since my spare is full size is it necessary to put that fuse in?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
How much wear do your tires have?
How much wear on spare?
If it's a big difference I'd make sure the spare is on the rear and use the fuse.

·
Registered
2004 XS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much wear do your tires have?
How much wear on spare?
If it's a big difference I'd make sure the spare is on the rear and use the fuse.

The spare is on the rear and it's brand new and the other 3 are probably a little over a year old.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Run the fuse just to be on the safe side. You would be fine unless you tried it. Then something would go wrong.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
I'm about 200 miles from home and managed to run over a razor blade last night and put a sweet slash in my tire... I've read about the fuse you're supposed to put in when using a spare but since my spare is full size is it necessary to put that fuse in?
The owners manual says the fuse for FWD is only for when the compact spare is used with an automatic transmission. This is because the compact spare is so much smaller in diameter than regular tires (24" vs 26") that the AWD would soon be damaged.

There is no need to use the FWD fuse with a full size spare unless the tire itself is a much different size than normal. Wear difference, for the time that a spare tire of the same size is used, is not mentioned in the manual as a reason for using the FWD fuse. I changed to a full size spare tire specifically so that I could use it as a spare on both ends of the car without using the FWD fuse.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
Don't pull the fuse, just put the spare on and drive home. You shouldn't have any problems.

Look online for used tire replacements. Ebay, craigslist, etc. Find a matching tire and you should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts