Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

future subaru owner with a question for subaru experts

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bbottomley 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just joined today. I visited a subaru dealership yesterday and was very impressed with what I saw. I was looking for a subaru forester (but I also liked the outback limited). Anyway I noticed that all their cars at the dealership had sportshift (automatic transmissions, I don't know how to drive stick), and I asked them about it. They said it's a high gear mode for climbing up mountains. I don't plan on using the car for any outback driving. I primarily want the awd so I for driving in the snow (lake tahoe).

So my question was, do I really need the sportshift? Do they sell models without the sportshift?

#3 ·
Sportshift is not at all what they said... though works nicely for that.
It gives you the tiptronic option to shift semi-manually between gears if you want to drive in a somewhat sporty manner around town... or if you are hauling and want a lower gear.
It is standard on all of the Automatic transmission Foresters now.

Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:

#4 ·
If I remember reading on the dealer sticker it lists the 4eat w/sportshift as a $$$$ option....now would that mean you could get it without sportshift???I dunno. The sales person also stated that he drives in town w/sportshift and gets about 2mpg more by doing that. I cant confirm this as BS or truth as I havnt logged records by driving this way.

#10 ·
Remember the good ol' days, when you had to physically move the shifter from 1, 2, 3, or D? Yeah, "sportshift" is the same as that, now that all trannys are computer controlled.

Same thing Subaru's had since at least 2001. Just different packaging.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.