Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I wanted to get a HEAD start on this project so when the time comes, I've got everything ready and the knowledge to tackle the project.

I want to eventually swap a WRX or STi motor with a 6 spd into the fozzy. I know it's a HUGE project, which is why I want to get a head start on it.

What needs to be done in order to swap the motor in?

What years would be the best?

What needs to be done to swap the 6 spd in besides putting the clutch petal in?

Will the wiring harness from the WRX or STi engine be plug and play?

Further down the road, I'll have more and more questions, being this is will be my first engine swap! Thanks again!

Any help/suggestions/write-ups would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys! Can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
only two pieces of advice here:

- at the very least, pay someone to do the wiring for you, unless you are VERY handy with automotive electrical systems/wiring. You have to merge together harnesses from two different cars; not fun or altogether easy if you don't know what you're doing.

- A highly optimized twin scroll kit can make a 2.0L feel pretty good--other than this, I feel that the 2.0 is a tough motor to mod. I would start with the larger displacement if you can--a hybrid setup (2.0L heads with a 2.5L block)--which will feel awesome compared to a similar 2.0L setup.

good luck!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
only two pieces of advice here:

- at the very least, pay someone to do the wiring for you, unless you are VERY handy with automotive electrical systems/wiring. You have to merge together harnesses from two different cars; not fun or altogether easy if you don't know what you're doing.

- A highly optimized twin scroll kit can make a 2.0L feel pretty good--other than this, I feel that the 2.0 is a tough motor to mod. I would start with the larger displacement if you can--a hybrid setup (2.0L heads with a 2.5L block)--which will feel awesome compared to a similar 2.0L setup.

good luck!
+1 on the first point.

If you're going through all the trouble of a swap, I'd go 2.5L.

How far do you want to go with the swap? Just engine/trans or do you want to do rear diff, hubs, axles, brakes etc and 5x100 or 5x114?

Honestly for a daily driver I think the best setup would be to swap either an FXT driveline in or a 2.5L wrx. If you plan to mod it, then I'd go for an 05-06 sti driveline.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on the first point.

If you're going through all the trouble of a swap, I'd go 2.5L.

How far do you want to go with the swap? Just engine/trans or do you want to do rear diff, hubs, axles, brakes etc and 5x100 or 5x114?

Honestly for a daily driver I think the best setup would be to swap either an FXT driveline in or a 2.5L wrx. If you plan to mod it, then I'd go for an 05-06 sti driveline.
Well, for starters, I want to do just the engine/transmission. Once I've got that project squared away, I want to do brakes/rims and tires. Then body (interior and exterior)

I figured if I swap in a STi engine, I would need to mod all that much the engine/trans because that's a huge upgrade of power in the forester and I'd rather keep it close to stock until I'm comfortable with the power and go from there..

So right now it would be a throw-up between a turbo'd FXT and a STi 05-06 engine/trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts