Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving around MD looking for some fresh snow to plow through in my 09, and I find this road that is five lanes wide with shoulders on both sides that is completely untouched and is about a half mile long. So...yeah...I went a little donut and power slide crazy for a solid 30 min. After helping several motorists unstick their minivan, truck(4wd hehehe), and various cars I decided to call it a day. As I'm on my way down a slight hill near the end of the road I see two more cars stuck, drivers out with the snow shovels and everything. So I finish my last power slide a good 75ft from the first car, and slow down to offer my assistance. The guy from the first car, a Saab, comes running over waving his hands screaming, I roll down my window and he says "HEY STOP JACK-ASSING AROUND LIKE THAT SO CLOSE TO MY CAR" I replied, "1st I wasn't nearly close enough to you to risk an accident, and 2nd I wasn't jack-assing around, I was practicing my winter driving skills, maybe if you had practiced yours you wouldn't be stuck in four inches of snow, so do you need a hand or what?" All I got was a "[email protected] YOU" and he walked off. So I ended the exchange with each tire spraying a rooster tail as I did a power slide past his car. Stupid non winter driving people. I'm just glad one hasn't hit me yet.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
Yeah, some people will be real expressive when it comes to snow tom foolery. I try to keep most of that away from the prying eye of the public. It just seems to come off wrong, as well as, at least around here, you get grouped in a league of bad drivers and hoodlm's. Empty parking lots and back roads are suited for that...for the most part though!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
75 ft isn't that far from a car. Plus add to the fact that he was probably a bit ticked by his situation to begin with and I'd say his actions were somewhat justifiable. He didn't know your driving abilities and was concerned about his own safety. Can't really fault him for that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll take sides with the guy in the Saab. You were "jack-assing around," and he had every right to be pissed. Sure, it's fun to slide around in the snow to "practice your winter driving skills", but a public road is not the place for it. Go find an empty mall parking lot or something.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I'm driving around MD looking for some fresh snow to plow through in my 09, and I find this road that is five lanes wide with shoulders on both sides that is completely untouched and is about a half mile long. So...yeah...I went a little donut and power slide crazy for a solid 30 min. After helping several motorists unstick their minivan, truck(4wd hehehe), and various cars I decided to call it a day. As I'm on my way down a slight hill near the end of the road I see two more cars stuck, drivers out with the snow shovels and everything. So I finish my last power slide a good 75ft from the first car, and slow down to offer my assistance. The guy from the first car, a Saab, comes running over waving his hands screaming, I roll down my window and he says "HEY STOP JACK-ASSING AROUND LIKE THAT SO CLOSE TO MY CAR" I replied, "1st I wasn't nearly close enough to you to risk an accident, and 2nd I wasn't jack-assing around, I was practicing my winter driving skills, maybe if you had practiced yours you wouldn't be stuck in four inches of snow, so do you need a hand or what?" All I got was a "[email protected] YOU" and he walked off. So I ended the exchange with each tire spraying a rooster tail as I did a power slide past his car. Stupid non winter driving people. I'm just glad one hasn't hit me yet.
The SAAB guy is not only stuck in the snow he is also stuck with a brand that has just offically been declared dead! No wonder he was pissed!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I agree with some of the replies about him thinking about his safety. 75 feet may seem like a lot from inside the car you are in control of, but it doesn't seem like enough when a car is sliding towards you and you are standing in front of it not knowing the skills of the driver or how it is equipped.

Personally I fell safer standing 10 feet away from a rally track with cars doing 60+ MPH then standing 100 feet away from a stop and go roadway covered in snow.

The rally driver is only focused on one thing, driving a properly equipped car. Who knows what could be coming down that snowy roadway. A driver who has never been in snow before, with dedicated summer tires on, txting on a cell phone...........? It only takes one driver/poorly equipped vehicle to make things go wrong if you are the one standing in the way.

However, I can't agree with this statement more.

..... maybe if you had practiced yours(winter driving skills) you wouldn't be stuck in four inches of snow.... I'm just glad one hasn't hit me yet.
I have even gone out with the misses in her Foz in empty parking lots to teach her how it will react in various situations.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
The SAAB guy is not only stuck in the snow he is also stuck with a brand that has just offically been declared dead! No wonder he was pissed!
Not yet, Spyker re upped a bid in the 11th hour with some help from the Swedish government and a Dutch investor.

Here is a list of blogs as the story unfolds.

REPORT: Swedish government to meet with GM officials - could Saab still be saved? — Autoblog

Spyker Tries Again: Submits 11th-hour, 11-point bid for Saab — Autoblog

REPORT: Spyker stock soars on word of Saab sale reconsideration — Autoblog

Mysterious Dutch billionaire behind Spyker's renewed Saab bid? — Autoblog

UPDATE: Spyker extends proposal to buy Saab from GM 'until further notice' — Autoblog

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have even gone out with the misses in her Foz in empty parking lots to teach her how it will react in various situations.
Good. That's where it should be done. Not on a public road.

The title on this thread is incorrect. Nothing funny about it.

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
I would have said "sorry, was just playing with me Foz here" and offered to pull him out, it is very unplesant to be stuck in the snow, and feeling helpless that the vehicle which you came to rely on to take you to work, school, play, the beach, or any other stuff, is all of a sudden unable to serve.

Almost like a workhorse dying, very bad feeling. I understand why he was little miffed.
Combination of factors, of being stuck, feeling betrayd by your car, and then having a super scooby come by playing in the snow like an oversized saint bernard dog.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
434 Posts
I'll take sides with the guy in the Saab. You were "jack-assing around," and he had every right to be pissed. Sure, it's fun to slide around in the snow to "practice your winter driving skills", but a public road is not the place for it. Go find an empty mall parking lot or something.
^^I agree with this ^^
For all you know he had his kids in the car. I'm surprised he didn't come over to beat your ***. If I was him I would have put down your plates and called you in to the cops for the way you were driving. Now he's going to think of that exchange when he deals with other Subaru drivers...thanks :shake: I like to goof around in the snow as much as the next guy with a Forester but I find a empty parking lot or the country road out by my parents house. In that guy's eyes, Forester drivers are right up there with the kids with riced out cars acting like they are something from "The Fast and the Furious" now. Then to rooster tail snow at the guy was an especially stupid thing to do. Next time you "offer to help" someone, try driving up like a normal person and asking them rather than acting like a 16 year old in a lifted truck with naked lady mudflaps that is out in the snow for the first time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While I understand why the guy was pissed. I can overlook your glee induced powerslides and donuts.

A five lane road with virgin snow does things to a man that one can't explain. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
434 Posts
Finely someone who understands me.
I as well understand the going out and playing in the snow 100%. I don't understand the place and manner in which you went about it. Having fun in the snow isn't a reason to be rude to some poor guy stuck in the ditch. Call it as it is...you were flat out rude to the guy. :chair:

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
Finely someone who understands me.
We all understand, but just because it would be fun doesn't mean it should be done. Remember, this is still a public roadway. The traffic rules don't change. You can't do donuts and powerslides on a dry road, and you still can't when there is snow. It was irresponsible on your part.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Lot's of really bad snow drivers in Oklahoma too.

You have to get out there and play when you can. It makes you a better driver.

I'm sure you knew your safety zone and at least offered to help them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts