1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternatively titled, "Dan is a Dumbass."

Did you know?:

- that you can play the car's stereo on battery power for about 8 hours before the battery gets really low?

- that when it gets really low, the stereo has a wierd "alarm", in that it will cut the power off for one second about every five seconds?

- and that when you ignore the alarm long enough, the stereo will cut power for about one second of every three?

- and that when this happens you probably don't have enough battery power to start the motor?

- and that this is quite an unfortunate circumstance when it happens at a customer facility long after everyone has left for the evening? And I do mean EVERYone.

- and that you don't need jumper cables to jumpstart a car, but it at least helps to have some vise-grips handy? And some 14-gauge 3-phase cable that you've stripped the ends clean and twisted the 3 phases together in hopes that they'll take the current without melting and setting two vehicles on fire INSIDE the customer's building?

Just though I'd share.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Did you know..

that the steel wheels will fill with mud if properly used off road.. and that subsequentially this mud will cause your steering wheel to move about 1 inch left to right on the drive home rapidly... and scaring you ****less :wtfeyes

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
did you know...

that when you follow a big flat-bed tow truck too closely on the freeway and that truck runs over a large piece of carpet, that carpet opens up and comes hurling at your forester...

you think for a split second..oH SNAP!...I have no time/room to swerve...you hit the brakes but it's probably not the greatest idea to come to a halt on the freeway...

so you think it's carpet, right? how much damage can it do...so you suck it up and barrel over it...

but you notice it's the bottom sand-paper-like side of the carpet that hits the front of your black subie... =(

so you get home and your left with: scuffed up bumper, headlight, hood gets some nice battescars, and one of my $1000+ wheels gets whipping along its lip...

pretty exciting...eh? battlescars are sexy...=P

G

·
0 Posts
Did you know:

That when you've got your shiny new week old car thats just done its 'run in' miles, its ever so much fun to race the car in front across some beautiful Scottish lanscape....

Just to watch said car in front, hit a lil bird and cause it to go rocketing into the sky as we watch in wonderment, up until the point where me and the missus suddenly realise that this thing is going to come rocketing back down and go splat on the front of our car.....Which it did :-(

Did you know that even the smallest of birds that fall out of the sky onto your bonnet can leave big scratches that go straight thru your lovely paint work!

Mick

BTW: This was with our previous car, a Mini Cooper.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Did you know:

Jump starting a 5mt on a dead battery would've done the trick also. It really doesn't take much speed to get it going.

Thoughts for next time.

Bland...

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
bland said:
Did you know:

Jump starting a 5mt on a dead battery would've done the trick also. It really doesn't take much speed to get it going.

Thoughts for next time.

Bland...
I'd second that... .. MT=Jump Start. But being an electrician you probably had more fun stripping the wire and trying to find some crimp terminals in the dark. :)

·
Registered
MY05 Forester X
64 Posts
did you know:

-that if you plan on doing u-turns in a carpark at 60kph you'd better hope there are no curbs on the ground you can't see otherwise you'll pop a tire...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Did you know that foresters are allergic to sibling's Xterra bumper, mercedes benz door edges, and purple minivans that decide to warm up by rubbing bumpers w/ yours.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Byrdman said:
did you know that ABS's don't work in the dirt
or Snow!

Also you dont get any drive to the wheels when your sump and rear diff are holding them off the ground as you try to follow in the grooves left by a Land Rover! (You try to tow a car backwards out of a trench when the only vehicle capable of doing it is in front of you and cant get back behind you!)

As well as NO HILL DESCENT CONTROL while descending a 40% slope :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
154 Posts
yep I found this one out the hard way luckly I came out with a busted skid plate & a few scratches here and there

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I considered the push-start but the snow and ice in the semi-plowed parking lot kinda shot down that idea. While I knew that a dead battery in an empty building was bad, the thought of me freezing to death with a broken leg and a dead battery was worse.

Oh well, lesson learned. Gonna start carrying jumper cables (I didn't learn the lesson about playing the stereo for long periods on battery power). :D

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I always carry a set in my forester.. really over-k1ll since they are so heavy duty.. but you'd have no idea how many kids at my school ask for my help :)

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL - I'm actually working, until tomorrow anyway, just down the road from you in Deerfield. I'm surprised your car didn't sense another Forester in trouble and drive itself over here to help!

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Did you know:

The front left fender will support the weight of the entire car while bearing down on the tire/wheel that accidentally came adrift at a crawl while testing wheel spacers? Rumor also has it that said fender was sprung out of shape and needed to be replaced...Or so I've heard.:oops: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Did you know:

Alot of people do not like the Forester because it's not suppose to be faster than their vehicles. :D

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Did you know:

That after changing a front wheel, but forgetting to do the wheelnuts up more than fingertight, said wheel can fall off :thumbsdown: :oops:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts