Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking into buying a Fumoto and was wondering if anyone has the F105 N-series valve and how much does it stick down off the sump. I'm a bit worried about ground clearance as some of the places I goto have rutted tracks which I have already knocked a dent in my sump on! I'm also looking at a sump guard!

mike

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
I got one with the nipple for my wife's OB in 97'. I ended up cutting it down to almost nothing. It stuck too far down for my liking. I didn't find a need to put a hose on the nipple anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I've got the nipple on mine. Because of the angle in which it sits, the bottom of the nipple is almost flush with the bottom of the pan (maybe 1/8"-1/4"). There is no binding with the belly pan. Go for it.
I do find the nipple handy; it always seems to get windy as soon as I start working on the car and a short length of tube directs the flow into the drain pan rather than blowing atomized oil all over my driveway!
To each his own....

·
Administrator
15,745 Posts
My fumoto bumped on my SubaXtreme sump guard - probably because the guard has had a few knocks. I loosened all the bolts on the jack point plate and added an extra nut between the sub-frame and the plate front bolts which gives me the clearance I need.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Are there any warranty problems for installing a Fumoto valve that anyone is aware of?

I'll be getting my first oil change next month, after that, I'd rather do it myself. I'm only getting the first one at the dealer because it's free and I don't want to fight the filter if it's super tight from the factory.

Any preferences on an oil filter wrench? I've not looked down there yet.
Thanks.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
ogopogo said:
Thanks.
Er.. brb with a picture

back.. with some pics

Fits the filter perfectly.. bought it for about 6 bucks at an autoparts store.. don't know what its called.. but it works great!

Too bad I use the fram "sure grip" filters.. no need for a wrench..

Usually (even without the "sure grip") when I change my oil the filters come off relativily easy.. no need for a wrench, but eh, i've got one if I ever DO need it!

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
ogopogo said:
Are there any warranty problems for installing a Fumoto valve that anyone is aware of?
Nope. Doesn't affect engine performance.
Dealer installed mine with my complimentary 1st oil change.
He knew I'd never be back for an oil change again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
ogopogo said:
Thanks.
My favorite oil filter wrench can be used on any filter along with a great deal of other things..........a strap wrench. I see no point in buying an oil filter wrench when the filter shouldn't be on that tight to need one anyhow. The strap wrench does the job and has other uses.
OTOH... Fumotos' make the oil change a heck of a lot easier and a bit more cheaper (you save money by not having to buy those stupid crush gaskets).

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
I have them in stock ready to ship if you want the one without the nipple. I can add one to my current order if you want one with a nipple. I just ordered yesterday.

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
I've had this oil filter wrench for over 17 years and it has not met a filter it could not remove. The harder you twist the more it clamps on the filter. It fits quite a range of sizes too. You can get it at most automotive stores. This one is a KD brand if I remember right. You can put an extension on it too if you needed. Any 3/8" drive fits.

Attachments

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Peaty said:
I've had this oil filter wrench for over 17 years and it has not met a filter it could not remove. The harder you twist the more it clamps on the filter. It fits quite a range of sizes too. You can get it at most automotive stores. This one is a KD brand if I remember right. You can put an extension on it too if you needed. Any 3/8" drive fits.
Yeah, I had borrow an identical one from a friend when I was changing the oil on my other car and it was great but now w/ the suby, I just do it the old fashion way by hand.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Pic of the valve from the front of the car with the engine cover removed to install my Strano sway bar. Sorry for quality, the camera focused further back. The tip of the valve is several mm above the cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just wondering how one of these valves would hold up to a canadian winter with lots of salt?

Everytime it snows I'm out there so it would get the worst of it.

Bland....

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
bland said:
Just wondering how one of these valves would hold up to a canadian winter with lots of salt?

Bland....

I think GIT-R-DONE would be a good referance :eek:

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
bland said:

Bland....
They are brass and SS so not much to mess up. I've had the same one since 97, I've moved it from car to car, so far so good. Next I'm gonna put it on the B9 at the first oil change. We don't get a lot of snow but we get ice and slush. They put a lot of salt down.

S

·
0 Posts
I've done about 8 oil changes with the Fumoto valves, including probably 3 since winter socked it in. No big problems so far, though I do have a small leak on the Legacy. Next change, I'll pull the valve and put a crush ring underneath the valve to see if that works.

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Anyone play with one of these?
I know Fram makes crap filters, but this system seems pretty cool, clean, no messy dripping like from the Fumoto, and lower profile. You would have to clean the hose but it seems like a comparable system. And for $13, cheaper. By the way I have the Fumotos on my cars.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts