Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coming out of my ears! :furious:

Have soo many dents from folks opening their doors in parking lots. The latest one looks like someone opened the door and hit my foz repeatedly, bam, bam, bam! :chair:

What gives?! Makes me not want to be considerate anymore. :lildevil:

If I ever catch someone smashing into my door, I think I might go berzerk! :evilatyou:

Now I gotta hire the dent wizard, shell out some dough! :mad:

If I could make people disappear, it would be in this order

1. Door dingers
2. Genocidal maniacs/psychopaths
3. Homicidal maniacs/psychopaths
4. General psychopaths/ malicious evil-folk
4. cell phone talkers/texters on the road

:mad: Sorry, had to vent.

·
Registered
'05 Forester XT
110 Posts
I think we all would agree with the aggravation of the door dingers. I just washed/waxed the FXT the other day and found 3 new dings.....really ticked me off.

I'm always considerate of other people's cars...even if they can't park their car correctly in a given parking spot. Doesn't matter if it's a new Corvette, or an old Chevette, I respect other people's vehicles.

I know door dingers are a pain, but my #2 would be the cell phone users....come one people, stay off the phone while driving. It's not really that expensive to buy a bluetooth device. I got mine for $35 and it works great (Motorola T215). And people who text while driving......that's just being stupid.:chair:

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
I think we all would agree with the aggravation of the door dingers. I just washed/waxed the FXT the other day and found 3 new dings.....really ticked me off.

I'm always considerate of other people's cars...even if they can't park their car correctly in a given parking spot. Doesn't matter if it's a new Corvette, or an old Chevette, I respect other people's vehicles.

I know door dingers are a pain, but my #2 would be the cell phone users....come one people, stay off the phone while driving. It's not really that expensive to buy a bluetooth device. I got mine for $35 and it works great (Motorola T215). And people who text while driving......that's just being stupid.:chair:

You have stated my all time hated things! I actually park my new foz at the other end of parking lots just to avoid this. Last year I caught someone dinging my old car. Some lady who couldn't care less just opened the door of her truck right on to my side mirror....while I was still sitting in the car!!! (so i gave her car some special love after she left :Banane36:)

I truly believe this happens from people who own cars they could care less about and have zero consideration or respect for other people.

I didn't know you could hire someone to fix the little dings in the car....but I bet it costs a lot. GRRRRRRRRR.

Now I have also vented. Feel much better now thank you.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Oh My God! Ding Stories! I have a couple...

Other day I am sitting in my car in my college's parking lot and some dingbat gets out of his car and flings his backpack over his shoulder. Problem? his keys were attached to the outside of the backpack and scratched the hell out of my passenger side door. :mob:

A couple of years back...I am sitting in a Taco Bell parking lot, in my car. Some dingbat gets out of his beater and hits my passenger side door with his door. Light hit, but I felt it. He goes inside. He comes back, bingo! opens his door and AGAIN! hits my car with his door! Now I am fuming. He gets in his car and eats his grub, then gets out for some unknown reason and hits my car a THIRD TIME! At this I get out of my car, walk at a high rate of speed over to him and scream at him. He got so scared he dropped the soda he was holding in his hand! After I saw that I calmed down, point was made. :evilatyou: :chair: :catfight:

I give up. It is gonna happen no matter where you park. The first one on a new car is always the worst though... :huh: :crazy: :confused: :shrug:

AND don't get me started about neighborhood kids putting dings in your car. I had baseball, football, and soccer ball imprints in several of my cars..... :yell:

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
If I could make people disappear, it would be in this order

1. Door dingers
2. Genocidal maniacs/psychopaths
3. Homicidal maniacs/psychopaths
4. General psychopaths/ malicious evil-folk
4. cell phone talkers/texters on the road
I second the motion, and include tailgaters.

·
Registered
'05 Forester XT
110 Posts
I know a lot of people just think of a car as a way to get around and do the things they need to do. As long as it runs and gets them from point A to B, then they don't care about anything else. For example...just take a look at cars in San Francisco. I'm not saying that everyone in S.F. doesn't take pride in their car, but I have seen SO MANY cars with 100's of little dings, not to mention bumper scratches and such.

I know living in a congested city doesn't help much...hell, that's why I moved away from the Bay Area and now live in Patterson....lol.

As for the kids that play in the streets and hitting cars, I have seen that much too often. Just the other day my wife and I were walking through the neighborhood and their were a couple of kids playing basketball with a goalpost at the end of a street. Didn't really think anything of it, but I heard a loud "thump" and noticed that one of the kids must have missed a shot and hit the roof of a car. It looked a little dented to me, and I wasn't sure if it happened at that time or if it was already there. I politely asked the kid if that dent just happened, and he said "No, it's my dad's car, and it's been like that for a while."

That's why I use my garage for our vehicles and not park them on the street. I have never seen so many people that don't use their garage for their vehicles. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I grew up in Indiana, and if you had a garage, that's where your car was parked since winter's can be a little harsh.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Had that happen to me right in front of my eyes. People suck. My wife saved a life a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I agree with every thing.

Just out of high school I was with a friend who had 3 days prior purchased in cash he save a new ZR2 S10. He was making a stop at wally world to pick up oil and a filter for the first oil change. He parks, we go in, we come out to an empty space next to his truck(no damage), get in and as he is getting ready to back out a Dodge 2500(some ones work truck) parks in the empty space on the passenger side swings the door open and put a rather large dent in the door just behind the mirror in Tonys new truck. Tony jumps out and yells at the guy "really!". The guy looks back as he is walking and says "that's life". Now Tony is hot tempered but showed some restraint in what he did next( I was waiting for the tire iron to come out), and I though he handled it fairly well.

He walks over to the side of the store and punches in the phone number to the towing company that services that lot(you know the Unauthorized vehicles will be towed away at owners expense signs) into his cell. The towing company answers and here is what comes out of Tonys mouth, "hey I am the day manager at Wall-Mart off _____ Blvd. I have a red Dodge 2500 with one of those chrome pickup bed tool boxes(one side is open) that has been in my lot now for 3 days with out moving and we need it gone. It is parked at the ___ spot in the ___ row by the light pole." The person at the towing company said "OK, we will have a truck out there shortly".

The tow truck drove in about 5 minutes later at which Tony pulled out of his spot to create room for the tow truck driver, leaving both spaces next to the Dodge empty. Tony parked to watch on the other side of the lot entrance as the truck was loaded up. We left when the tow truck did and didn't bother to stick around to wait for the guy to come out to his missing truck. I can't imagine the thoughts going through the guys head when he came out to see his truck missing.

My, Rant on
Granted These are Subarus, not exactly a high end car. However here is the thing, It is a high end car to me and many of us. If you look at the amount of available income we have to spend VS the $18-30K Price tag. It is no different then some one who makes $200K+ a year dropping $90K+ on a Porsche, Mercedes......

I bought my car so I could be the one who screws it up, dings it, scratches it, crashes it doing the things I like and want to do. Not one of those things is getting my door dented at Wal-Mart. I did not buy it so some inconsiderate ___ who doesn't give a ____ or is to busy in life to take into consideration and have respect for other peoples hard earned property.

Two days after buying my '08, some idiot put a dent in of all places. The spot above the rear passenger door, before the roof rail. It took the PDR guy an hour and a half to get it where he was happy with it. Now you don't see it unless you know where to look.

The Misses Forester purchased a week earlier then mine has been shot at with a BB gun and now has a BB dent with a silver dollar sized area of paint missing around it. Along with several door dings.:mob::chair:
Rant off/

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
He walks over to the side of the store and punches in the phone number to the towing company that services that lot(you know the Unauthorized vehicles will be towed away at owners expense signs) into his cell. The towing company answers and here is what comes out of Tonys mouth, "hey I am the day manager at Wall-Mart off _____ Blvd. I have a red Dodge 2500 with one of those chrome pickup bed tool boxes(one side is open) that has been in my lot now for 3 days with out moving and we need it gone. It is parked at the ___ spot in the ___ row by the light pole." The person at the towing company said "OK, we will have a truck out there shortly".

The tow truck drove in about 5 minutes later at which Tony pulled out of his spot to create room for the tow truck driver, leaving both spaces next to the Dodge empty. Tony parked to watch on the other side of the lot entrance as the truck was loaded up. We left when the tow truck did and didn't bother to stick around to wait for the guy to come out to his missing truck. I can't imagine the thoughts going through the guys head when he came out to see his truck missing.
Excellent. :biggrin:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tony is my new best friend lol, but I would have left a note in the middle of the empty spot with the words "that's life" on it :)

Friday afternoon was the first time I got to wash my 2010 myself. Got all that winter grim off, dried it all so it was all sparkling and perfect, found a few small nicks from the winter but nothing major. My wife took the car to go shopping and came back about an hour later. As I was washing my other car I noticed what looked like dirt/dust on the black bumper guard in the back. I was like damn I missed a spot, of course when I go to try and rub it off it's not dirt its someone hit it back there and scuffed up all the black, so now it always looks dirty for a good foot across the back. Needless to say I was not impressed.
Now I just need to figure out what to use to try and hide it as best as possible but man sometimes I think a new car or a clean car just attracts idiots to ding it, would be better if it was filthy people seem to leave you alone lol

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
I hate to say it, but I don't have door dings because I go out of my way to park further. That way the minivans full of kids, the disabled, and the elderly and or the inconsiderate in general can be the ones to park closer. That's definately not to say that only those groups (elderly, families, or even the disabled) are inconsiderate, but they're the ones that need some big wide opened doors, and accidents will happen.

So I park quite a few spots away from everyone else. Not on the other side of the entire lot, mind you, but far enough. :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Like EvilDan, I park pretty far away from store entrances. Wife doesn't like it, she always parks as close as possible--guess whose car has more dings? I'd much rather walk for a minute than shoehorn the Forester into a front row space. And shopping carts, gotta watch out for them, especially on a windy day, they're flying all over the place.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
660 Posts
I don't mean to dismiss your anger and frustration - believe me, I've been there. But it's a part of living in San Francisco. If you park on the street, it's just a matter of time before you get the smash and dash treatment as well. Thank your "progressive" City government!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts