Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally had my system installed today by Andrew's Installations in Littleton, CO. He did a fantastic job. Thanks to SVXdc for the wiring adapters and phenryiv1 for the speaker adapters. It made the install much easier. I'm very pleased with the sound and the stealth looking install.

Setup:
Alpine ICS-X7HD Digital Media Receiver
Alpine MRX-V70 5 channel amp
Alpine 8D4 Type R 8" sub in sealed box
Polk DXIi6500 components (front)
Polk DXi650 coaxial (rear)

I've had quite a few questions about the adapters I used. They were purchased from forum member SVXdc from his website http://www.ae64.com You can try to PM him too, but from what I understand his message box is often full.

I used the 20 pin forward wiring adapter to tie in to the factory plug. It has the added pins to tie in to the optional steering wheel control module.
I also purchased a factory USB adapter from him. It plugs into the factory USB harness and allows it to connect to my Alpine's USB input. The USB jack in the center console works just like it should.
Finally I purchased the Axxess ASWC steering wheel control adapter from him. They are available cheaper from Amazon, but he has the firmware updated to the latest version. I didn't have to do any configuring for it to work with my Alpine.

For the steering wheel controls:
The volume up/down work as normal.
The forward/reverse work as normal for track selection or radio tuning.
The Mode button changes the input source on my Alpine.
The voice control button acts as a mute button.
The phone talk/end buttons are currently setup to forward/reverse through the playlists on my iPod. This was the default setting and I have not tried to reprogram them for phone use yet.

The speaker adapters were purchased from phenryiv1 at his website http://www.subaruaudio.net/installations/2014-forester/. They are made out of a PVC plastic material and are bright white. I painted them flat black so they can't be seen through the speaker grill openings. The adapters for the front and rear doors worked perfectly for the speakers I choose. My installer had to custom make some adapters for the tweeters in the dash. He started out with 1/4" material and had to sand away some thickness so the covers would fit flush. We did a surface mount on the tweeters which required extra clearance. The factory tweeters are quite deep so depth was no issue.

getting started

door panel removed

front speaker adapter installed

front component installed

lots of room under front passenger seat for amp

tweeters installed flush mounted with shaved 1/4" adapter

rear coaxials installed with adapter

Alpine X7HD installed

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.0 XT 5MT
259 Posts
Very clean installation. Great job. Fortunately you can get matching illumination with today's units.

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
Did you loose stock bluetooth capabilitiies and does the USB & aux input still work?
Since he got the adapters from svxdc I imagine everything should still work.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's so cool!
Does the volume control on the steering wheel work?
I ordered the Axxess steering wheel control module from SVXdc and it works perfectly. The mode buttons changes the input source on the receiver, and the forward/reverse buttons work as intended. It was too late to start messing with my phone last night, but I'll test the call connect/disconnect buttons today.

Did you loose stock bluetooth capabilitiies and does the USB & aux input still work?
I purchased an adapter from SVXdc to connect my receiver to the stock USB input in the center console. It works perfectly. I didn't bother with the aux input because my stereo doesn't support one. From what I understand he does have an adapter available to support the factory aux input if you have the need for one. The stock bluetooth has been replaced by the bluetooth in my Alpine. The installer ran a new microphone around the headliner behind the rear view mirror. It is out of the way and should work better than my last car when I mounted it behind the steering wheel. It has a built in swivel and can be pointed toward the driver or the passenger. I had a pro do the install because I was a little nervous about tearing apart the dash. The adapters did make the wiring portion of the install very easy.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you get the trim plate for the head unit? Looks great!
Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit for 2008-Up Subaru Impreza/WRX Vehicles

I ordered the head unit trim plate from Amazon. Be aware some modification is required to make it work in the Forester. I found a posting on another forum that had a couple great pictures showing exactly what trimming needed to be done. You actually end up reusing the mounting bracket from the factory stereo in combination with the Metra kit. I imagine that there will probably be a vehicle specific kit at some point, but I couldn't find one. With a Dremel tool and about 2 minutes worth of your time you can make the Impreza part work fine.

NASIOC - View Single Post - 2012 Impreza stereo replacement

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
62 Posts
Polk DXIi6500 components (front)
Polk DXi650 coaxial (rear)

Thoughts?
What are your thoughts on these? i was thinking about going with the same setup except i was leaning towards the pioneer avic-z150BH.

BTW I emailed Metra today and they still have no idea on a release date for a Forester specific mount.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0 XT CVT Auto :(
15 Posts
Hi there, i was wondering if you were able to also show the radio/music data on the MFD display?
Does the bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel work?

Also, can you link where you purchased these adapters? I was unable to find these adapters.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are your thoughts on these? i was thinking about going with the same setup except i was leaning towards the pioneer avic-z150BH.

BTW I emailed Metra today and they still have no idea on a release date for a Forester specific mount.
I actually think they sound really good. I found them on Amazon new opened box for about $100 total. For that price they are a steal. They integrate well with the 8" sub. If I didn't have the option for a sub I might have sprung for a higher end speaker with better mid-bass response. By the time I factored in a better amp that route would have been much more expensive. I will say that playing off the front windshield they are a little bright. The crossover has an adjustment for the tweeter. I started out at 0db. When I have my dash apart again I'll probably set them at -3. For now I just have it adjusted in my head unit and it sounds fine.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi there, i was wondering if you were able to also show the radio/music data on the MFD display?
Does the bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel work?

Also, can you link where you purchased these adapters? I was unable to find these adapters.
The music data will not display on the MFD with an aftermarket stereo. Hardly an issue when I have a 7" touchscreen. The phone buttons on the steering wheel are currently configured to toggle the playlist on my iPod. I haven't had a chance to play around with the programming yet. I read another thread where someone was able to get them working with a Pioneer head unit. I have an Alpine so I'm not sure if it will work or not. If I figure it out I'll update my post.

The electrical adapters were purchased by forum member SVXdc. His website is www.ae64.com.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
Nice job! Very clean install.

I did a similar install but I went with the Kicker replacements as the speaker adapters were not yet available when I started. Everything I had still works with the exception of music info on the MFD and the factory BT mic. My USB port still works as does my 3.5mm input. I also have an old 80 GB iPod connected. I have what I need to get the factory BU camera to output on the MFD and HU but I have not done that part of the install yet.

All the cables I needed I got from SVXdc. I'm able to keep my USB aux and iPod connected at the same time by using non powered USB hub. As long as I don't connect my USB while the iPod is playing, it works fine. I have to switch to Aux input then plug in the USB for this to work. Once I remove the USB drive I can switch the HU back to iPod and it continues playing from the iPod.

I have done ~20 installs over the years and this was one of the easier installs. On the Premium there are a lot of good places to come through the Firewall and it makes the job pretty easy. On a 1-10 scale with 10 being the hardest, this install was a 3. Trickiest part was getting the manual A/C cables off the first time. Now it takes 15 seconds each :)

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
62 Posts
...On the Premium there are a lot of good places to come through the Firewall and it makes the job pretty easy...
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I was following you on the other thread. Why did you have to go through the fire wall? I too have a premium.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I was following you on the other thread. Why did you have to go through the fire wall? I too have a premium.
If you add an amp or sub/amp you need to run a fused link directly to the battery. See below.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
Nice job! Very clean install.

I have done ~20 installs over the years and this was one of the easier installs. On the Premium there are a lot of good places to come through the Firewall and it makes the job pretty easy. On a 1-10 scale with 10 being the hardest, this install was a 3. Trickiest part was getting the manual A/C cables off the first time. Now it takes 15 seconds each :)
Getting ready to do mine. Had the front radio trim piece off this weekend. For those who have the auto climate control it is even easier. Just pop off the radio trim\bezel, unplug the hazard switch and pop off a 20+ pin wire harness that plugs into the back of the climate controls. No Glove box access needed no cables to remove from the controls. Just pop off the harness. With the auto climate control there is a TON of empty space behind the climate control's.

to the OP... Install looks great! I was wondering what you might say about the tweets in the dash being a bit bright. have been pondering putting mine there too but was afraid of that issue.

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
where did they end up installing these? In the door?
We decided to install them in the dash behind the head unit. We used the existing wiring to the door speakers and ran new wires to the tweeter. It ended up being much simpler and no worries about crossovers getting wet. There is quite a bit of room in the dash to work with.

·
Banned
2013 2.5x auto
268 Posts
Looks good.
I would strongly recommend sound matt for the doors and rear tail gate. In mine that took road noise away and the bass is tighter.
And that 8" woofer would love a ported box. And you would too. I always do a 8 or 10 in ported and 12 15 in sealed for my customers. Unless they want stupid loud I go ported no matter what.
I think you would enjoy that

Good luck

1 - 20 of 46 Posts