Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most threads on full-sized spare wheels/tires and now that I have a set of winter wheels/tires, I have decided to use one of my all-seasons when the winter tires are on and one of the winters when the all-seasons are on. When I was swapping the other day I put my 215/55/17 next to the 215/60/16 next to the doughnut and the two "real" tires were very close in diameter and the doughnut was WAY smaller.

So here is my dilemma, I put on of my 17" all-seasons in the hole and it doesn't quite fit all the way in as well as the screw-down doesn't fit (as is used for the doughnut). Perhaps because I put raammat and ensolite, perhaps not.

The floor sits up just a tad

However it looks like it'll fit

Even though it is on the verge of pushing up the plastic piece at the edge

I know there is the bucket that can go in there to support the floor more, and I may get that if I decide to keep this setup. I don't know if the screw-down bolt is too important since it fits pretty snugly... I would only need to worry about sharp jolts up.

Please share your thoughts with me.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
I just put a 5/15" piece of laminate flooring about 2 ft. long and 4 inches wide on top of the tire for support. But I have the 215/60/16 and it sits down a bit more. I don't understand why the hold down won't work. It works on mine.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's better than the tiny doughnut.
Exactly. And, the whole point of the spare is to temporarily allow me to drive with the priority of getting the bad tire fixed. So, even if I have to drive 100 or 150 miles, I'd rather do it on on a snow tire when I have my all-seasons on most of the year, than on the doughnut. Especially since the diameters are so drastically different (I'll take a photo) and I can only drive 55mph for a short duration (as specified in the manual).

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got back from using the winter tires and now that I swapped them off, i was able to give this view perspective of all 3:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
In my X I have a matching 225/55/17 spare. I let a lot of air out of it and it fit fine. I keep a DC powered air compressor in the car so I can pump up the spare (or other tires, rafts, airbeds).

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I put my all-seasons back on, I went to put one of my Continental Winter tires in the back and it fit perfectly. I was even able to use the screw down.

I also noticed when I jacked the car up to swap the tires that when I jacked it so the winter tires were a hair off the ground and then put the all-seasons back on, I had to jack it another pump up because they were a tad larger... maybe that is the reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts