Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full Size Spare for '09 and '12 Forester

I decided to buy a full size spare for our new 09 Forester X (PZEV 5MT Premium w/ AWP):

OEM tires: Yokohama Geolander G95 P225/55R17 95H 320 BA
OEM wheel: 17” x 7.0”, ET (offset) 48mm
TPMS sensors (4)

Stock Spare tire: Bridgestone T155/70D17 110M "donut" space-saver; no TPMS sensor​

Aftermarket f/s spare (mounted and balanced) from Tirerack (US$130 + shipping):

Tire: Kumho Solus KR21 P215/65R16 96T 680 AB M+S
Wheel: Stamped steel, 16” x 6.5”, 5-100 bolt circle, ET (offset) 50mm, 56mm centerbore (cb)
No TPMS sensor​

Yes, I test fit the new f/s spare, and all is well. :cool: And, speaking of “wells”, the f/s spare fits into the spare tire well. The circular jack organizer fits inside the 16” wheel, along with my circular tool bag, and the cargo area floor still lays flat, but I had to give up the molded rectangular tool organizer.

The full-size spare’s specs are “close enough”, in my view, to the base model tires and wheels, as well as to the “Premium” and “Limited” tires/wheels. For example, the OEM 17” tire’s diameter is 26.8”, and the new f/s spare is 27.0”. The f/s spare’s “T” speed rating (118 mph) is lower than the OEM’s “H” (130 mph), but it’ll do.

The Rims-n-Tires calculator puts the 17” OEM tires at 753.7 revs per mile, and the new f/s spare at 747.1 revs per mile – a less than 1% difference. The OEM temp spare calculated out at 788.5 revs per mile – a 4.6% difference from the OEM tires.

Subaru requires that all tires be within 1/4 inch rolling circumference. Tire Rack's mfr specs for the OEM tires is 775 revs per mile and 772 revs per mile for the Kumho spare. The math indicates a 0.32 inch difference in circumference. This is slightly outside of Subaru's spec, but it's far closer that the 3.7" difference -- almost 15 times Subarau's circumference difference spec -- between the OEM tires and the OEM temp spare.

Nov 11, 2009 Update: I measured the tires and wheels:
  • Kumho F/S spare's static circumference: 84-3/4"
  • OEM tire's static circumference: 84-1/4"; 1/2" (0.50") shorter
I did not order the TPMS sensor for this spare. The OEM space saver spare didn’t include a sensor, so that’s a wash to me. I'll stick with the four-tire rotation pattern and not include this new spare in a five-tire rotation pattern.

I think this combo is a satisfactory and cost effective solution, and I also think the price was quite good. Service was excellent: I ordered the tire on Sunday, and it was delivered on Tuesday.

I hope this info is useful to others.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Nov 10, 2009 Update:
The Dunlop SP 60 all-season tire in size P215/65R16 98S (600 A B) is well reviewed in Tire Rack's survey, is also modestly priced, and is spec'd at 776 revs/mile. The calculated difference in circumference between 775 revs/mile (OEM 17" tires and wheels) and 776 revs/mile is 0.105" -- well within Subaru's 0.25" spec. Based on calculations and measurements above, this tire might be a "better match" as a F/S spare for the OEM tires.

Nov. 13 update: Some sizes of the Dunlop SP 60 are whitewalls. This may be why it didn't show up during a "vehicle based" search. However, it does pop up when searching for a 215/65R16 tire. Dunlop's website indicates the 215/65R16 is a blackwall.

Nov. 13 update #2: I also purchased a set of mounted 16" winter tires. Here's a summary of key dimensions and specs for the various tires:

• OEM tires: Yokohama Geolander G95 P225/55R17 95H 320 B A, 84-1/4" circumference, 775 revs/mile
  • F/S spare: Kumho Solus KR21 P215/65R16 96T 680 A B M+S, 84-3/4" circumference, 772 revs/mile
  • Winter tires: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 215/65R16 98H, 84-3/4" circumference, 770 revs/mile
In summary, the Kumho looks like it's a very good size fit between the OEM tires and the winter tires for a year 'round full-size spare. :icon_cool:

March 26, 2012 Update: Kept f/s spare when '09 Forester was sold; moved it to '12 Forester.

Reactions: TSi+WRX

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
ok so when you put in the FS you had to get rid of the Styrofoam (or whatever it is) piece under the cargo area floor? Did you discard the whole thing or cut a hole in it?

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I "discarded" the whole thing; it's now in storage in my garage. However, the new steel wheel is deeper than the temp spare wheel, so I've got the original circular jack organizer and my round-ish tool bag both stuck inside the new wheel.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Info updated Nov. 10, 11, and 13, 2009.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another Update

Added Nov 13 update #2.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester
4 Posts
Crewzer-
Ordered the Dunlop SP60 w/ steel wheel from Tirerack yesterday. The wheel is on backorder till next week so the pair should show up in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know how it works/looks when I get them. Thanks for posting the great info. I love my Forester, but Subaru needs to do the right thing and put a full size unit in the U.S. bound models.:mob:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
For those interested in this thread. Do a search. A lot of us Canadians did this as well.

Myself and Trainman for starters.

This post made no reference to the mod required to secure the wheel depending on the rim used.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
SG,

The specs for the Dunlop SP60 suggest it should be more than adequate for a full size spare. The only complaint I've heard is that the tire is noisy, but I'd take that over a temp spare.

JD82,

I can't say about the larger wheel. The 215/65R16 I used was a bit of a tight fit getting it in, but maybe that was just me. Another concern about the larger wheel is the size disparity between it and the OEM size wheels, but perhaps you're using larger road wheels?

SO,

This post made no reference to the mod required to secure the wheel depending on the rim used.
Right. I used the original attaching hardware for the OEM temp spare to secure my f/s spare. The f/s tire is mounted on a 16 x 6.5 50 mm et steel rim, and is placed and secured in the spare tire well "face down". My solution is virtually identical to Trainman's; no mod was required.

All,

Sample related discussions:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/full-size-spare-09-fxt-53844/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/09-full-size-spare-fitment-41797/

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester
4 Posts
Got my Dunlop SP60/steel wheel combo from Tire Rack yesterday and all is well. After a bit of a wrestling match, it dropped right into the spare tire cavity. The "bucket" fit well as did my tools/cables etc.. Tire Rack was a pleasure to deal with and I WILL do buisness with them in the future. It's all good! :woohoo:

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
15 Posts
@crewzer - thanks for posting this info.
I recently purchased the Dunlop SP60/steel wheel combo from TireRack. It fit fine into the back of my 2010 Forester. Of course, I had to ditch the foam tray, but there was plenty of room for all my tools & such. I fabricated a simple T-shaped wood structure to help support the floor of the cargo area- the two arms of the T rest on the foam to either side of the tire well, and the base of the T rests on the sidewall of the spare. It works fine. (I'd post photos, but I'm new on this forum so apparently I can't post yet.)

I mounted the new spare and, as carefully as I could, measured its radius when loaded by the weight of the car. As best as I could tell, the radius of the Dunlop is 1/16" to 1/8" bigger than the stock Yokohamas. This is a bigger discrepancy than reported by tire rack's spreadsheet. Is it enough of a mismatch to require disabling all-wheel drive with the spare mounted? I'm not sure. I'd probably go ahead and disable AWD, unless driving conditions required it.
It sure is nice to have a real spare tire, especially in a vehicle that can see use off paved roads!

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
R G,

I'm glad that this thread was useful to you.

You can only disable AWD on a Forester equipped with an auto transmission.

Nov 10, 2009 Update: The Dunlop SP 60 all-season tire in size P215/65R16 98S (600 A B) is well reviewed in Tire Rack's survey, is also modestly priced, and is spec'd at 776 revs/mile. The calculated difference in circumference between 775 revs/mile (OEM 17" tires and wheels) and 776 revs/mile is 0.105" -- well within Subaru's 0.25" spec. Based on calculations and measurements above, this tire might be a "better match" as a F/S spare for the OEM tires.​
The real test comes down to tire circumference, or revs/mile. The Dunlop is spec'd at 776 revs/mile, and the OEM Yoko at 775 revs/mile. Assuming that these numbers are correct, I can't imagine that there's be any undue strain on the drive train. And, even if there is a small difference, the open differential on the "odd" tire's axle would absorb half the difference.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
15 Posts
If you are going to do this why not just buy 5 tires the same (and wheel) and do a 5 wheel tire rotation?
That'd be the ideal way to go, no question. For me, the issue was cost. My Forester is new, so I'd need a Yokohama on a factory wheel to match what I've already got; that's a $400 combo (more if you want a working pressure sensor). The Dunlop/steel wheel were only $150.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tire Rack has their only steel wheel for the Forester sold out for the season (however long that is). Ebay has a bunch of 16x6.5 steel wheels, but they all came from other vehicles (chevy vans, toyota camry, etc.)... will any of these fit as long as they have the 5-lug pattern? Or is there some dimension I'm leaving out which is important?

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Tire Rack has their only steel wheel for the Forester sold out for the season (however long that is). Ebay has a bunch of 16x6.5 steel wheels, but they all came from other vehicles (chevy vans, toyota camry, etc.)... will any of these fit as long as they have the 5-lug pattern? Or is there some dimension I'm leaving out which is important?
I suspect TR stocks enough steel wheels to meet their projected winter demand each year. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't stock 'em again until October.

There are several important dimensions specs beyond just "16" x 6.5":

The "5-100" bolt circle (lug pattern) means that there are 5 mounting holes evenly spaced on a circle with a diameter of 100 mm.

The offset ("ET" is short for Einpress Tiefe, which is German for offset) is the distance from the wheel's center rolling plane to the back side of the wheel's mounting surface. The ideal spec for the Forester is 48 mm; 50 mm is close enough.

CB is the diameter of the wheel's centerbore, the hole in the middle. 56 mm appears to be right for the Forester.​

These are the basics; there may be more specs to consider.

Discount Tire has a 16 x 6.5 black steel wheel with a 41 mm offset. This would cause a 215/65R16 tire to stick out 7 mm further than stock, but only 2 mm further than the 225/55R17 tires on stock wheels (225 mm - 215 mm = 10 mm; 10 mm / 2 = 5 mm; 7 mm - 5 mm = 2 mm). This may be an acceptable alternative for a f/s spare application if nothing else is readily available.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
13 Posts
I figured there was more to it than I was seeing. The other problem, then, is that most of those ebay listings did not have additional specs (and I'm not sure if I would trust them even if they were listed). I'll have to decide whether I want to hold out for Tire Rack to restock or if I want to go with a less-ideal fit.

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
There are a couple of online parts houses that peddle what are supposed to be actual Suabaru steel wheels for ~$115 each. Since a couple of dealers quoted $165 a wheel to me, I'll be comparing appearance of the online wheels with actual when the car shows up.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XPremium 5MT
10 Posts
Greetings,
I've bookmarked this thread for a time when I would be ready to purchase a full size spare tire. Well, I'm not ready to do that, but I am planning a short weekend trip to the North Maine Woods this summer. All dirt roads, some are challenging, but nothing that should be very hard on my 2010 Forester XPrem.

I have the stock 17" wheels w/ Geolander tires back on now for the spring-fall season and I have a set of winter tires mounted 16" wheels with Nokian Nordman 4 tires. Thanks to Crewzer's original post on Winter wheels.

My plan (part question) is to take two of my Nordman 4 tires w/16" wheels, (one per side since they are directional) on this trip in the event of a single or double flat and probably the doughnut as a last resort/emergency use.

To the question part. If I were to flat and use one of the Nokian tires, would this be a huge concern, or could I do damage to the AWD system? I presume the diameter of the Nokian Nord4 tire on 16" wheel is near the same rotating diameter as my 17" w/Geolander compaired to the doughnut spare. Or am I way off base here?

I hope I have supplied enough information.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Steve,

I'm glad my posts were useful to you! That's what this forum is all about, IMHO.

I couldn't find any U.S. specs for the Nordman 4. :confused:

The overall diameter spec for the Nokian Nordman 2 in size 215/65R16 is 27.0", vs. 26.8 for the OEM Yoko in size 225/55R17.

The 0.2" difference in diameter theoretically translates into a 0.63" difference in circumference. This is more than Subaru's spec of a 0.25" difference, but is way less than the difference between the OEM tires and the donut spare.

You could use a tape measure to check the actual difference. However, I would expect that you should be able to get away with using a single Nokian as a spare. My Kuhmo Solus KR21 f/s spare's overall diameter spec is also 27.0", and I won't hesitate to use it if required.

Thx,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.