Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought the Subaru Forester I was going to purchase for my pregnant wife to the dealership for a full inspection before purchase.
Gf stalled at a light during the test drive and we wanted to make sure the engine was fine.
They stated the cam carrier seals had a leak, and there was an obvious pcv valve with silicone in it poorly done.
We replaced the pcv valve but the dealership refused to continue the inspection due to brakes being unsafe.
I drove the car home and replaced the brakes myself which I can still prove has more than 1/4 pad on and also replaced the rotors.
I brought the car back and they completed the inspection and they informed me that there was also a check engine light on now for the catalytic converter. They told us that driving with a bad cat shouldn’t hurt the car, you will just see performance problems.
A few days later on mother’s day the car breaks down again, and leaves my pregnant wife stranded on the side of the road.
We pay to tow the car back to the dealship and now they say the engine is blown and I have a signed letter from the dealership stating that all of these events occurred and there is no way for a certified Subaru dealership to foresee even with a full inspection within 50 miles of complete engine failure that it was going to fail.
What should I do?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,272 Posts
Did you buy from an individual or another dealership?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
@Squash0013 Forgive me, I am confused. You first mention that you brought the fozzy to a Subaru dealer for an inspection prior to purchase. Then proceed to take said vehicle home for repairs? So did you buy it knowing it needing repairs? I don’t quite follow.

·
Administrator
15,095 Posts
Welcome @Squash0013

Sorry to see these sorts of problems. Please complete your registration details so that advice appropriate to your region may be given by members; thanks:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Techs doing pre-purchase inspections don't have crystal balls- what are you expecting from them- hopefully nothing.

Let guess- you're one of those people that buy a car- then get a pre-purchase inspection.

I never understood that when I was a tech.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ForesterBill I purchased the car from a private sale.
@Whitesc no confusion you read correctly, I was given the obstacle from the dealership that they cannot test this car with the brakes in this condition (which I proved to be untrue) went into rock auto before purchasing this car and went to the owners apartment complex to change it and brought it back to the dealership to complete the test and they document this in writing.
I asked them up front to test the compression and to find out what caused the car to stall on my wife.
What they found was a leak that did not even reach the pavement and they stated it would not cause the stall. They even went as far to state that replacing the pcv valve alone could have fixed it.
@Kevin thank you I followed up with completing registration now that I’m home
@OriginalTwoTone I was surprised myself that the service tech was willing to put into writing that within 50 miles of complete engine failure they have no way of seeing this coming and document my previous visits. They even had told me to fix the leak and replace the catalytic converter for 6000$, but told my wife it was not a pressing issue and that she can continue driving the car to school so she can complete her GED before she goes into labor. They also stated that after they refused to test drive due to the brakes, that after I jumped through their hoops they only plugged the car into the machine and never drove it themselves.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Well did you replace the engine? If not what happens next is up to you & how much skill you have, I’ve read that Subaru engines are easy to R&R ( remove & replace) find one in the salvage yard & get some one to help or at least a engine hoist you can rent them from places check in the yellow pages!

·
Registered
2011 Forester Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Jetmech99 ya that’s exactly the plan. We’ve been sharing the landcruiser and I’m rebuilding the 4Runner cuz I already had the parts. But I ran into this weird roadblock deciding to either find a legacy or outback newer model block for half the price and try to replace all the auxiliary to match up. I’ve heard and read the same thing that they go together like legos.
I had the fb25, my model is 11 forester pzez 8th digit A I believe.
But I got stuck on dropping a larger more reliable engine like the h6 into it although the 2.5 fb25 was sporty when it ran.
Any idea on what my options are to bolt straight into the 4AT without changing clusters and requiring the harness?

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
First of all you have to figure out if it would even fit, or if you really want to do all the modifications to make it work,having put a 6.9 liter diesel in a 1980 International Harvester Scout Traveler, sometimes it’s not worth the trouble to try to put a bigger engine in!
Not saying the Scout was that way but it did require a lot of modifications

1 - 11 of 11 Posts