Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XPremium Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gearing up for an audio redux here in the next few weeks. HEre is the equipment list:

FRONT SPEAKERS - ID CTX65cs
REAR SPEAKERS - JL XR 650-CXi
HEAD UNIT - ALPINE CDA 105
AMP - ALPINE PDX-5 $335
SUB - Pioneer TS-SW2501S4

Plan is to mount the sub under the drivers seat, and the amp under the passenger seat.

It's my brothers, so I don't have ready access to it, but I wanted to get the box built before he drives down to put everything together. Planning on a slot ported box.

Here is what I don't know:

1) The maximum dimensions for the unerside of the drivers seat? (Need a guideline to put the enclosure together)

2) Aux pinout so I can retain the stock aux port

3) What is the wire gauge for the stock wiring, e.g., do I need to rewire everything or can I utilize whats in place?

4) Are there any typical rattle spots to pay attention to when Dynamating? (I've got him listening right now for anything, but all seems quiet on the home front)

Thanks alot! Please let me know if you have any opinions/suggestions about the install or the equipment, I've used Image Dynamics subs int he past, but never their components.

-Dylan

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
1. unsure but this thread from here might help

2. SVXdc's pinout info here

3. 20 or 22. can utilise, but better to replace.

4. yeah, the white baffle in both of the front doors. search rattles and dynamatting

also, to keep steering wheel controls get the Metra Axxess ASWC from SVXdc. while you're at it, get the HU harness from him as well. much easier.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Not sure if you were using the name "Dynamat" to describe any sound deadening product, or if you plan to use the Dynamat brand???

Either way, you may want to consider using an alternative brand like RAAMmat RAAMaudio . Their prices are quite a bit less, and I think the product is just a effective.

I recently replaced the factory speakers in my Forester. I also used the RAAMmat BXT II and Ensolite on all four doors and it made a significant difference in reducing resonance from the doors.

I would like to hear more about your subwoofer solution. Although, my system sounds excellent, I still need a bit of low frequency reinforcement. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XPremium Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1) The thread helped a bit, at least I know what won't fit, but it looks like custom is the way to go (Don't worry, Ill post all the measurements afterwards)

2) Looking at the Pin-Out I assume the AUX is on a different connector, because it's not listed in the pinout, but Ill check it out more when I have the radio out.

3) Looks like I get to run some speaker wire, Wire Selection Table puts me at 18 gauge for 72 Watts at 8ft., so I'll probably wind up with 16 gauge in case he wants to upgrade the amp later, or bridge the channels to run 150 RMS.

4) I have read about the white baffle and I will be sure to give a good look over and a little deadening.

I don't have much experience with RAAMat but Ill check it out.

Dynamat online ends up at about $50 to do all four doors, so I'm not too worried but I have nothing against saving some money. [EDIT] I'm going to stick with Dynamat since the RAAMat only comes in ultra bulk for $100...

5) I had not considered the steering wheel control but this sound like a decent enough solution. I'll shoot him an email.

Thanks!

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
yeah for 2. also pointed to by my post in your other thread. follow that link, then the one in that thread through to "dpm's posted MY09/10 audio wiring diagrams". aux is on the i50 connection in the navi1.pdf or the i86 connection in the audio2.pdf (for non-navi).

3. yeah, i think 16g's a great call.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Pin-out for the car's 8-pin aux harness is here (bottom of post #10 in my 'Stock HU info' thread, in the box "2009-up Foresters"). I currently have a very limited quantity of pins to make the adapter harness. E-mail me for details (see my homepage).

Only problem is, the Alpine CDA-105 doesn't appear to have any aux inputs. Perhaps with an adapter that plugs into the HU's Ai-Net port?

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
16 Posts
I'm just buttoning up the upgrade to my wife's 2010 FXT. New Sony has USB input that accepts flashdrives or MP3 players so I didn't worry about the AUX input in the console. If I had found SVXdc's posts earlier, I would have definitely given him some business for a steering wheel controls kit already wired into the HU harness adapter. I got it done, but the info that comes with some of these aftermarket accessories is crap. I had to pop the rear door rubbers between the door and body to get a straight push to get the wires started. On the fronts, i was able to unwrap the stock wires in the door and pull the new wire down into the footwell. I was able to tape and tuck away the old wires after that. Had to change plans when I saw how small the stock tweeter is and how tight it is in that trim piece in the corner of the door. Switched to coax speakers in the stock woofer location since my wife said no drilling of door panels for the large tweets I had. I ended up buying most of my sound proofing stuff from sounddeadenershowdown.com If nothing else, he has great advice and experience from years of working with other stuff before he started marketing his own stuff. I actually bought my sound block (mass loaded vinyl) from McMaster-Carr since Don gives his specs and I got free shipping through my company.

Sounds like if you are making custom subs, this won't be any big deal. The big shocker for an old-timer like me was the fact that there are no easily accessible fuse blocks to tap into for amp power (even though you should probably go direct to the battery) and every thing is integrated into a couple of multi-pin housings. Made me really appreciate guys like SVXdc and the legwork they have done. Especially while I was sitting in the middle of the Subie on a 5-gallon bucket with the netbook searching this site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts