Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
373 Posts
Really.
One would figure Reuters would do some fact checking before reporting on a story like this.

However I did just find this bit of info from Cars Direct:

United States

The United States is one of the world's largest automobile consumers, so almost all Subaru models are manufactured there, including the Subaru Impreza, the Subaru Impreza WRX, the Subaru Legacy, the Subaru Outback, the Subaru Forester and the Subaru Tribeca. This means that these models are in plentiful supply in the United States, which, combined with the minimal shipping costs, gives residents of the United States the cheapest deals on these new Subaru models.

So the misinformation goes on.

The Forester is built in Japan by Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent of Subaru of America. The Subaru Impreza also is built in Japan.

The Subaru of Indiana Automotive plant in Lafayette, Ind., builds the Outback, Legacy and Tribeca, as well as the Toyota Camry under an arrangement with Toyota.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Typical media not fact checking. I'm also interested in aviation and you would be surprised at how often the press screws up facts on aircraft.

To be fair to the press, this press release may be a translation of a Japanese press release. Nikkei is a Japanese business news source and this story came from it:

Nikkei.com

But I do believe that Subaru would like to increase production of Subaru's at Lafayette as they are now experiencing shortages of vehicles to meet consumer demand at dealerships.

The Tribeca model has been dropped, which means there is unused production capacity at the plant. And a $400 million dollar investment in the plant would indicate bringing assembly of another model to the plant. The Forester would be a logical choice for additional model production.

Dropping Camry production would also aloo more Subaru production capacity.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
219 Posts
Per our rep and stuff I have seen the they will be building the Impreza in the US shortly. For MY15/16 I have heard both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts