Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dealer this morning for two recall items - ECM and one way fuel valve. I figured the car would smell like fuel for a little while since they needed to access the tank. I parked the car outside with the windows partially open. It's been pretty breezy around here today.

When I pulled the car into the garage about five hours later, there is still a strong smell of gas outside the car. Inside the car it doesn't seem as bad, but it's hard to tell if I'm allowing it in when opening the door.

I brought it to the dealer with about 1/8th of a tank and filled up after the service. Never smelled fuel before this. Sniffed around the interior and can't find a source. Smell is strongest on the outside near the right rear wheel.

Read the great write-up by Buddur about removing the sending unit. Looks like there are a couple hoses attached to the top of the sending unit and the service receipt said they used a new seal on the tank. I guess something could be leaking slightly but I don't see any drips under the car.

To all those who've had this recall done, did you smell gas after the service?

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
I got mine dun yesterday and it smelled like gas too. I haven't driven it today so I don't know if it still does. I have to run out in a few so I can let you know.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks. I saw your other post about the recall just the other day. Seems like lots of folks have known and been talking about this recall and the PZEV ECM recall for some time.

I asked my dealer six weeks ago about it and they said my car wasn't involved. Mysubaru.com didn't have anything either. Just last week I got an e-mail telling me it was and now it's showing on the website too. Go figure.

I guess they're including more vehicles as time goes by.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
No problem I haven't been spending much time in here so I didn't know about the recall till I got the email last weak. I still haven't set up the Mysubaru.com thing. Wasn't too bad for me my dealer did both in about an hour and a half. I was tempted to ask them if I could have a Legacy GT to try out whille I was waiting. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to run some errands this morning and it didn't smell at all inside the car anymore, but the smell was pretty strong on the outside. Brought it by the dealer and they put it on the lift to confirm no leaks.

The service manager explained that removing the one way valve is just a messy job and it's difficult to do it without getting some fuel on the outside of the tank. And from my experience it doesn't take a lot of gas to make a noticeable smell.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the smell persists, you'll get a Check Engine light for the evaporative system. It's possible that the gasket/seal for the sending unit isn't sealing properly - it can happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts