Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 5mt
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i have a problem with me 03 forester xs. everytime i try a fill up if i put the pump on full speed the tank pressurizes right away and shut off the pump. I've replaced the filler neck, fuel temperature sensor, and fuel pressure valve. i was hoping to get sometime from the filler neck and pressure sensor but nothing has changed. Any thoughts or ideas would be great, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Hi everyone i have a problem with me 03 forester xs. everytime i try a fill up if i put the pump on full speed the tank pressurizes right away and shut off the pump. I've replaced the filler neck, fuel temperature sensor, and fuel pressure valve. i was hoping to get sometime from the filler neck and pressure sensor but nothing has changed. Any thoughts or ideas would be great, thanks for your help.
Quit doing it this way! Slow down the flow and the problem will most likely go away. Should have tried that before fixing stuff that most likely wasn't broken in the first place.

Always try the simple fixes first. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
Quit doing it this way! Slow down the flow and the problem will most likely go away. Should have tried that before fixing stuff that most likely wasn't broken in the first place.

Always try the simple fixes first. :biggrin:
Oh, yeah, mine did that too. Usually if I started out slowly I could put the pump up to full speed after the first few litres had gone in.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 5mt
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for in info, it worked up to a certain point. However, full speed still shut it off but it was much faster than doing on a very slow speed the whole time. I'm still curious as to what could be causing it to do this. I feel like there must be a clog in some vent line somewhere or in the canister. I have a parts car so i may try and switch out the canister once the weather gets a bit warmer.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Assuming this is a serious thread............!!!!!!!!

Virtually every petrol / gas pump ever made has a mechanism within it that will shut the fuel flow off it senses that fuel is being splashed back up into it, such as when filling up at full pump speed. This is a safety feature that stops tanks being overfilled.

Your tank is not pressurising - it cannot until the fuel cap is back on.

As others have advised you - stop filling up this way and your 'problem' will go away!

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
vent line clogged? spiders find a new home?

I have no problem with full speed... and we have the eco/vapor collection pumps here that are sensitive.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 5mt
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks everyone. The reason I ask, is because this is abnormal compared to every other vehicle i have refueled. Usually you just put in the nozzle pull the trigger and away you go. But as was mentioned, fuel backs up in the filler neck and shuts off the pump. I can definitely live with it, I've had the car for 2 and a half years now. I just cant imagine that there's nothing wrong in regards to parts malfunctioning.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 5mt
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe i just need to have more practice with easing on the pump and finding the sweet spot is all

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
Quite possibly, yes. I was driving around in my dad's '91 Legacy with my friend yesterday and the fuel pump is apparently very sensitive... It kept shutting off! I had to fill up twice, but I only filled it up to about half a tank each time. :p (4 hours of straight - mostly city - driving on 24 litres is pretty good, imo...) Maybe our cars are just very sensitive in regards to filling up.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AT
106 Posts
For what it's worth, I disagree with those who are certain you're just doing it wrong. I have a Jeep with a similar problem, but it is only an issue in warmer weather. It's true your tank couldn't fully pressurize w the cap off, but it could still build up some positive pressure given that the nozzle occludes most of the filler opening.

I think in my case the vent is clogged. They warn against "topping off" on newer cars b.c it can damage the evap system but I wonder if it also could contribute to venting problems. Anyway sorry I don't have the answer, but I want to support the fact that it might be a venting issue.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium, AWP 5MT
566 Posts
My car is a SH. FWIW I set the pump at full-speed and it has never shut off prematurely but I can sympathize with you.
My wife drives a 2003 Lexus LS430 that has the same problem. Generally, it won't fill the tank at full-speed (and that thing takes 26 gallons!). She says the problem has been there since new and that some pumps are much worse than others. When I've filled the tank I've sometimes noticed it and sometimes not. Sometimes I can adjust the way the nozzle goes into the neck and fix it but sometimes I've just driven away in frustration with 1/2 a tank!
We've never done anything about it, just lived with the fact that we can't pump at highest speed. I think it's just a poor design with a smal amount of fuel sloshing back up the neck sometimes and tripping the pump cut-off. Don't believe it's 'pressurizing' as, in lovely California, we have mandated fuel vapor recovery systems which actively suck out the fuel vapor from the tank as you fill it, which incidentally may make the fuel sloshing problem a little worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts