Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 forester (2.5L engine) stock standard. A few months ago I started getting a surging issue when cornering hard, I just put it down to maybe with only quarter of a tank of fuel it wasn't getting picked up in the tank as it was thrown to one side.
Just recently on a 36 degree day the car was fine at 100 but if i put my foot down it surged and felt like the engine was starving. I parked the car for 1/2 and hour at the shops and when i got back in, it was a lot worse. under any load it was breaking down. I eventually got home let the car cool down overnight and it was perfectly fine the next day. I took it to my subaru dealer for a quick look at and there were no code issues.
The car had be fine for a couple of weeks even in moderate heat.
Today I just returned from a holiday (4 hr drive) the outside temp got up to 34 and the car just started to play up again only under heavy load but was quit drivable. I stop at a friends house to pick up my dog for about 1/2 hr and when i got back in the car to head home the last 20 min. of our trip. the car was the worst its ever been. lucky to get over 40km slowed to a crawl up any hill. Eventually got home. let the car sit for 2 hrs, took it for a drive and it was better, it would accelerate but was still breaking down under heavy load. P.S. noticed that my fuel light stayed on for 15 sec after i left my friends house with 3/4 of a tank, its never done this before.
From the above would anybody be able to shed so light on whats going on with my car. Cheers

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Sounds almost exactly like what happened when my fuel pump failed. Could also be a wiring issue at the fuel pump/level sensor unit.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I would go fuel filter first(cheap and easy), then would be a fuel pump.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The reason I say its the fuel pump is because of that first part. I had the issue where after a hard corner at about 1/4 full, it would sputter out as you tried to reach higher rpm. Then slowly it started happening more and more often. This is due to there being less fuel running through the pump, when the pump runs dry it puts much more stress on it and wears it out. The fuel pump is relatively easy to do and not terribly expensive (if something like a walbro fits, they're better and cheaper), it fixed a lot of stumbling and hesitation issues I had been having even before it started sputtering out after corners. It started getting bad enough that whenever I used more than about 50% throttle it would start to cut out, would feel like I hit redline and then just cut out for a few seconds before working again.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
The reason I say its the fuel pump is because of that first part.....
I agree, 90% fuel pump 10% fuel filter. I am taking a guess that the fuel filter has not been replaced, which can cause very similar symptoms(if it can't pass fuel it doesn't matter if the fuel pump is good). '02 the fuel filter should be in the firewall/strut tower area and cost ~$5. Can be swapped out in the parking lot of the auto parts store with basic hand tools(screwdriver/nut driver).

I would say to try and find a local in your area who has done one and see if they would be willing to help, to save you a few bucks. Only takes a 1/2hr to 1hr to do and you should be able to find some one via the regional forums. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f58/

·
Registered
2002 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks Guys, I will check back thru my service history to find out when the fuel filter was last replaced. Will swap it first, then if no better will look at the fuel pump. Cheers and I will keep you posted

·
Registered
2002 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
swapped filter

Hi guys, I swapped over the filter this morning. It has nearly fixed the problem, Ist & 2nd gear seems fine but as it drops into 3rd it seems to have a slight flat spot. Will take the car for a drive later this arvo when the weather gets up around 34 degrees and see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts