Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Premium 5MT
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been having some bad luck lately. It seems like the piping that runs from the engine bay, through the body, to the soft lines near the fuel tank have rotted out at the quick connect point under the car, allowing a slow, steady drip of fuel to leak out. I haven't been able to find replacement hard lines (which seems to be a labor intensive repair), so if it comes down to it, I may have to run hoses and delete the EVAP. I have limited time and space to work on it, so I need a quick fix.

On top of this, my alternator is getting hot, my front endlink blew out, my DAM dropped to .750 on startup after I disconnected the battery, and a big order of suspension parts was delivered to the wrong address and the company I ordered from wont take them back. What a week...

My best idea so far, encase the leak with JB waterweld, and hope it buys me some time

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,909 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went and pulled apart a junkyard car. Got the rear subframe, lateral links, differential support crossmember, fuel tank (with pump and all the rollover valves and such) and the fuel filler neck, $153, from a 100% rust free South Carolina 2006 Forester X. Removed it all in about 2 hours with a socket set and an impact.

Now, I have no intention of using the EVAP system again, which lines do I have to cap or allow to breathe on the tank? I'm also doing AN lines up to the engine bay run underneath the car in place of the hard lines. Costly, but easier IMO.

This is going onto a 2005 XT 5 speed, by the way

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@2.5x_sleeper bobby,

I know you had boosted a 2003 n/a motor. Did you do anything to upgrade the fuel pump? I'm going to attempt to put in a 340lph AEM pump and a bulkhead fitting for the return line (since it appears that the 2006 n/a foresters ran a dead head setup). If my thinking is correct, there should be no issues running the n/a pump hanger/assembly in an XT like this.

·
Administrator
40,909 Posts
@alexholl_ yes, we're running the same Walbro fuel pump in both Foresters.

As to the fuel pump plumbing. They look to be the same, as far as I can see, just some difference on where the fuel filter is placed after the '05 model year. I prefer the fuel filter in the engine compartment vs. in the tank! :icon_eek:

You can view the '03 X write up here in Alex's Member journal. There are links there to the original write up... before we got Members' Journals & also a link to the write up for my '07 FSXT. :wink:

Walbro GSS342 fuel pump upgrade

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'll check it out. Here is the pump from the 2006 X, no return line. I thought this was odd but shouldn't be too hard to modify for a return setup. I'll likely delete the in tank filter and install an in-line one or an engine bay one.

EDIT: probably not worth the trouble. For how easy it is to replace the fuel pump assembly, Running the old XT one in the new tank will get me by until I find a less rusty one at a good price for the new AEM pump.

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,909 Posts
@alexholl_ I only have experience with the '03 X & '07 FSXT. I have all the Subaru Technical service documents, but I've never had a reason to look at the '06-'08 NA fuel pump plumbing. :wink:

Oddly, my Subaru Technical service documents omit the '05 model year! :icon_eek:

Note on the '06-'08 NA it says to "<snipped> disconnect the fuel delivery hose. Fuel Delivery, Return and Evaporation Lines." That sound like "3" hoses, of which there are only "2"? Does that mean one of those hoses serve "2" functions in this configuration? :confused:

Bobby...

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the piping running through the interior on the salvage car, there were only 2 lines. One for fuel feed and one for the evap system. Almost picked it up to repurpose the evap line as a return (full evap/canister delete), but decided -6an lines run under the car would be easier and a cool little project despite the cost. Cant think of any way they'd be able to double up the lines.

·
Administrator
40,909 Posts
Agreed, the description for the '06 NA is vague. Bottom line, fuel delivery & evaporation Lines. No fuel return. :icon_eek:

Curious... doesn't your '05 XT have 3 lines, so why do you need to run in another one? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@2.5x_sleeper I was hoping to use the pump assembly from the 06 X because it looks brand new and I had it laying around. Being from the northeast, the one currently in my 05 XT is pretty rusty. It'll do until i can find a cleaner XT/WRX/STI one for cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts