Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had some numbers around average fuel economy for the MY06 2.5 Litre? I have a XS (Non-turbo), but it would also be interesting to get a comparison to the XT.

For those who have some stats could you provide;

Highway Driving
- Litres / 100Km (or gallons / Miles, with conversion)
- Expected range from full tank

City Driving
- Litres / 100Km (or gallons / Miles, with conversion)
- Expected range from full tank

Does the Fuel economy improve much once the engine is broken in, and if so around what mark does it happen? eg. 1000Km or 5000Km or other??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Griffo,
Nothing too scientific, but i average about 500km per tank in my XT.
My driving is generally a mix of highway and crappy peak hour crawl.
Fuel economy has improved after about 10,000km.
Consumption all depends how hard you push!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was curious, because I seem to be getting average fuel economy. Less than 500Kms (just over 400km), including some non peak hour driving....

Although the fact I have only clocked up 600Kms, isn't a big enough sample to test it over, I was hoping for better. I guess it will settle down as the engine breaks in!

The big test will be when i do a drive up to Tweed Heads (900kms) some time soon. While the specified fuel consumption is 9.6l / 100 Kms (which is a combo of city/country driving), which on a full tank = 625Kms, I would hope to get closer to 700kms or more on a full highway drive.

Has anyone got any fuel consumption numbers on a long distance drive???

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just came back from a holiday up the coast of NSW and Qld and consistently achieved just over 600kms out of a tank of sustained highway driving with A/C on and luggage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MY06 Fuel stats

Some of you are doing well on consumption

Have MY06 XTL (lucky bugger)

Traveled 8183 km
filed at that distance to tank tops
total fuel used = 998 litres
now
assume 20 litres in tank at zero km
and assume that was actually filled at last fill
then remaining in tank = 60 litres
than actual usage = 978 litres
therefore km/l = 8183/978 = 8.37 km/l

Now travel style is close to 50/50 highway and city with 5% off-road
Not a lead foot though except on occasion

My stats also show that at time 10.37 km/l is possible

Hope this helps you all
Keep foresting on

D

·
0 Posts
Some MY04 XT stats... the 06 should theoretically be a little better...

Min litres/100 km 8.69
Max litres/100 km 13.67
Avg litres/100 km 10.73

Average Fill 38.54
Total Fuel (l) 7631.45
Total km 71373

the driving has been pretty mixed, with daily highway, peak hour, and general around town commuting...

·
Registered
10 Posts
MY06 XT man fuel stats

Just to add my stats to the mix

MY06 XT manual

Around 9000kms so far since new and averaging just over 10l/100kms. Driven fairly lightly over that period with a few fun bits thrown in to keep it interesting. It has mainly been fairly cruisy urban travel with some interstate travel. Almost always with the Aircon on.

Thought I should be getting better economy as it runs in but with the engine noticebly looser since new you can't help but rev it now & then :) - might explain the "average" fuel economy.

·
Registered
2006 XTL
61 Posts
Stats for my 06 XT Auto at the 7000k mark is just on 11.5 L/100k.

This includes towing, freeway and daily commutes.

The best I have got from a tank is 9.51 L/100km which was over 532 kms. This was being very light with the accelerator. A real challenge for a week.
The worst is 13.67 L/100km while towing with a combination of windy dirt roads and freeway.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Got an XT and Im around 12-13l/100km but it gets a bit worse at time.
I have been under 10 for some highway driving.

C

·
0 Posts
MY06 FXT ~7000km
Long trip averages ~ 9.8l/100
Local area = 14-15l /100 (and that is driving like an old fart)
Local area = 50-60kmh max & not a lot of traffic.
I can't afford to use boost.

HTH

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
cadman said:
MY06 FXT ~7000km

HTH
That seems particularly bad for an MY06 from what others have posted ?

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
My XSL is under 3000km and it's thirsty! Lucky to get 300km (17l/100km) on my first full tank!

When I got the demonstrator, it had done just under 2000km and was delivered with a near full tank, so I've only filled it up to the brim twice and got readings from my first full tank last week.

I'm hoping it will get better. The engine feels tight - nothing much happening till around 40km/h and then suddenly WHOOSHKA! Can't wait for the first service to rectify things.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 6sp man
10 Posts
I've got a MY03 XS with about 77,000 Km on the clock. I usually run the freeways at about 115-120 (Km/h), and get about 600 Km on a tank. About a year ago I had to go cross country on some back roads where the limit was 80 or 90 Km/h, lots of traffic, and I couldn't free-wheel where I normally would. I was surprised that I had 3/8 tank left when I hit 550 Km... I figured I could have gotten about another 150 to 200 km before goin for a reload...

Looks to me that the 90-100 Km/h range is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
When I got my demonstrator MY06 XSL in mid January, it had already done about 1,900km, with nearly a full tank. I kept driving till the low fuel light came on, then filled it up to the brim - twice now. Mainly city driving with very little motorway cruising on regular unleaded. My "first" full tank gave me 17l/100km. The second one just a few days ago returned 15.5l/100km... The engine feels tight, reluctant to climb between 2,000 and 4,000rpm. Haven't even done 3,000km yet, so more than 2,000km before the first service. Not sure if I should worry before then.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm seeing roughly 10l per 100km on average, that's with a large amount of city/suburban driving. It spikes as high as 11.5 once in a while for a tank, but only when I'm fanging it like crazy.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
cadman said:
MY06 FXT ~7000km

HTH
I take back what I said earlier about your numbers

True, I have only put one tank through mine but the 2nd tank looks no better at 14 L/100km

On the 2nd tank I have taken it much easier with highway miles as well.

I'm hoping this will improve dramatically with time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds like my experience on the fuel economy is much the same as others.

In my N/A 2.5 (XSL) Forester, I have been a little surprised with the fuel consumption. I have to start tracking the fuel usage a bit closer, but at rough estimates I am getting around 13-14l/100km, a bit over 400km per tank.

It does seem to be improving, and I am sure will settle down once I do a few more Kms.

I've only just clocked up 1000Kms (in 6 weeks, I know pretty poor effort), but haven't yet had a chance to do any long runs. Its mainly been the wife running around town during the week!

Thanks for eveyones feedback, and lets keep track of the new Forester owners and see to what extent the fuel economy improves during the break-in.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts