Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 NA awp with LPG
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Just been into my local Subaru dealer to order a new O2 sensor for the front cat on my 2001 N/a Forester wich is a 5 wire set up which plugs into a brown multi plug with a plastic security clip. The price on screen including VAT is £251, well after having a little sit down to recover thought I would ask if anyone on this site knows anything about these sensors, It is called a Fuel / Air ratio sensor on the parts screen but the price of this unit seems exessive. So I wondered if anyone else has come accross this as other people have posted that this sensor costs about £140, that according to the parts screen is for the O2 sensor in the rear cat.

Any info or advice on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Riggs

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Hi Riggs and welcome to the forum.

The price you've been quoted does seem excessive. I paid approx. £140 towards the back end of last year. Admittedly it was for a 99 turbo import, but I wouldn't have thought one for an 01 NA would be significantly more expensive - but I could be mistaken.

For comparison purposes I'd suggest ringing 'Knowlesy' at Xtremescoobies [01245 363623] and asking him for a price. They're usually pretty competitive and will post.

Let us know how you get on.

James

·
Registered
2001 NA awp with LPG
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks James, I'll give him a ring and see what he says, It will be good to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about as it seems that a lot of dealers parts people are just admin bods these days and do not have any real knowledge of the products they are selling.

cheers

Riggs

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
make sure he knows it's for a n/a not turbo though.. they don't see much without a blower :)

cheers
Steve

G

·
0 Posts
If your not too fussed with going for the original thing, DENSO make a good line up of o2 sensors for subies among other things. I just got quoted $365 australian dollars for an original sensor and yes, i crapped my pants and developed an instant tumor. After a bit of searching i found one from DENSO that was only $125 from the local parts shop, although that was for a 98 2.0l forester. Check their website www.denso.com.au or google it for your country of preference to find who deals with them in your area.

·
Registered
2001 NA awp with LPG
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up on the Denso connection Gruntly, have tried this but for my model in the UK the response is "Not available".

Have spoken to knowlesly and he has come up with the same price as I can get one localy. Have also tried some motorfactors who all say it is a subaru only part.

Sounds like the Japanese car makers are doing the same as the motorcyle makers and designing parts to be specific for a particular model and doing parts deals with the OEM's so that they can only supply to the original manufacurer which leaves us no choice but to pay the price on the screen at your local dealer.

Have been advised to seer clear of the universal type as there life expectancy is not good, at least I shoud see another 60K out of the Subaru unit.

Riggs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts