Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get my Forester serviced every 12,500km at the local Subaru dealer and every time a bottle of upper engine cleaner (part no. SA459) is added - cost increased from $15.59 to $17.18 and every second service a bottle of fuel additive (part no. SA712) is added - cost $13.91 to $15.18 Sometimes they leave the bottle of fuel additive with me to add at the next fuel fill if the fuel gauge is below 3/4 full.
I know what the fuel additive is and where to put it but what is the upper engine cleaner, what does it clean and where is it added? Is this just a Subaru thing that Subarus need regularly or is it another way of the dealer increasing his profit margins?

I notice in the service booklet that the upper engine cleaner is supposed to be done every 12,500km but it says nothing about a fuel additive, although it specifies that the fuel filter should be changed every 62,500km. I know mine has never been changed and it's just had the 125,000km service.

My 301,000km Camry has never had either of them and runs perfectly without yet has always been serviced at a dealer who I would think would be out to sell any snake oil he could.

·
Registered
06 Forester STi
73 Posts
These are not 'snake oil' products. They serve an important role in helping to keep your Subaru running well.

Because of the cr*p fuel in Aus, the fuel additive is used to help keep the injectors etc clean and the upper engine cleaner is sprayed into the intake manifold to help clean the throttle body, valves and all things upper engine.

Well worth the few dollars they cost, as without them your Foz will loose more than a little of the sparkle.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. What about the fuel filter? Is it one of those in the tank and how often should it be checked or replaced?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
People seem to like the Subaru upper engine cleaner, even non Subaru owners rave about it.

·
Registered
2008 Forester MY09
181 Posts
my fuel additive is SA718. Last service they "forgot" about it and I had to remind them - not impressed!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
what is the upper engine cleaner, what does it clean and where is it added?
Heres what I could find

Q: My Subaru’s maintenance schedule includes an Upper Engine Cleaner to be performed, what is this?
A:
Engine power output is created by the burning of fuel in a vehicle’s cylinders. As petrol is a hydrocarbon fuel, made up of hydrogen and carbon, after combustion it leaves carbon as a by-product or deposit. Over a relatively short period of time the carbon deposits on the walls of the combustion chamber, the piston crown (top surface), and on the valves, can result in the deterioration of engine efficiency. This may lead to poor fuel economy, reduced power and harder starting.

To overcome this situation, the factory has formulated ‘Upper Engine Cleaner (SA459)’, which is a concentrated combustion chamber and induction system cleaner. This product helps clean and purge gum, varnish, and carbon deposits. Using this solvent during scheduled servicing has proven to be a valuable form of preventative maintenance.

If your vehicle were subjected to regular stop/start driving, short trips, or poor fuel quality, the build up of gum, varnish, and carbon deposits would be far more rapid. In addition to ‘Upper Engine Cleaner (SA459)’, we suggest the use of ‘SA718 Fuel Additive’ to maximise your engine’s protection against such concerns.

Both products have been specially formulated by Fuji Heavy Industries, the manufacturer of your Subaru vehicle, to be compatible with the Subaru horizontally opposed engine and it’s technically advanced electronics. These products are available through all authorised Subaru Dealers
Upper engine cleaner! help - MRT Community Forums

Looks like it does exactly what Sea Foam does
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

·
Registered
2010 XS
3 Posts
Sorry, late drop in here...but....If you look at the owners manual, it does recommend adding the additive every 6k.

As a new owner, I'll be adding it, given the poor reports of Aus fuels these day...

Cheers....

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wippells, the Subaru dealer in Toowoomba stopped automatically adding fuel additive at every service about a year ago and now only do it if requested. I often wonder how much it is needed. My '97 Camry V6 with 312,000km has never had any fuel additive, ever, and runs perfectly. However my brother's 2000 Holden Astra would choke and die if it didn't get fuel additive every service and run on premium. Perhaps certain engines must require it more than others.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.0D Premiu Manual
2 Posts
Had our major service on Thursday and for the first time have been given the additive by the dealer. We've added it and later read the label which only mentions petrol.

Ours is a diesel! Anyone know if this is a problem?

·
Registered
2009 XS manual
359 Posts
if the dealer has given you it, then best ask them direct as any problems from using it will be their responsibility....best ask them or read the bottle

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester XS Automatic
1 Posts
SA459 - Which hose to use for injecting the stuff on 2012 Forester XS?

Hi all,

Would somebody know which hose to use for injecting SA459 on 2012 Forester XS?
Picture attached. Is it via hose "A" or hose "B"?

Many thanks!

Milo

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts