Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 fsti
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had time to spend cleaning it this weekend in the sun. Still booking it in for paint correction with a zymol detailer tho. Looks like i will have to post a few times as multiple images are not uploading.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,598 Posts
Welcome back and nice work! Black is nice when clean but a pain in the back to keep so. What products did you use?
Sti pink springs group buy? I'm in as well :)

·
Registered
55 fsti
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Products

Meguiars hyper wash concentrate with Gilmour foam gun (mix E)
Meguairs Gold Class Shampoo with two bucket method and meguairs wash mit
Zymol Clear Autobathe
R222 wheel cleaner
Meguairs clay and quick detailer
Zymol HD Cleanse
Zymol Carbon wax

and 6 hours work!

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Products

Meguiars hyper wash concentrate with Gilmour foam gun (mix E)
Meguairs Gold Class Shampoo with two bucket method and meguairs wash mit
Zymol Clear Autobathe
R222 wheel cleaner
Meguairs clay and quick detailer
Zymol HD Cleanse
Zymol Carbon wax

and 6 hours work!
That was quick!
It takes me 2 days to wash, clay, polish and seal!
Just washing takes me around 2.5h (the wheels alone take almost 1h) but that's probably being paranoid not to create any scratches. Ever since discovering the Werkstatt Acrylic kit I have switched to that as it is so much easier to polish and seal, lasts well and looks good.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Hmm yeah think I still like the black ones best :woohoo:

That was quick!
It takes me 2 days to wash, clay, polish and seal!
Just washing takes me around 2.5h (the wheels alone take almost 1h) but that's probably being paranoid not to create any scratches. Ever since discovering the Werkstatt Acrylic kit I have switched to that as it is so much easier to polish and seal, lasts well and looks good.
Used to use that too...now on the Blackfire Midnight Sun system, which I think gives a deeper wetter looking shine :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Have always used zymol stuff. How dirty are your wheels if is takes an hour just to do them?
A couple of months dirt at least. Only used a hose to rinse the car during that time. The R222 wheel cleaner, does it shift any dirt without agitating and is it acidic or mild without stripping any wax?
I only use AG Engine and Machine Cleaner on the wheels which is not the strongest of cleaners but is non acidic. It takes forever doing them with a paintbrush though and then sponge and soap...
I had them removed during the last service and a mobile valeter that was around helped to spray some stuff on them , agitated with a brush and after a jet wash they were like new again! I wouldn't do that on sealed wheels but for especially dirty ones or the inside of the rim it works a treat. I forgot the name of it though.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Hmm yeah think I still like the black ones best :woohoo:

Used to use that too...now on the Blackfire Midnight Sun system, which I think gives a deeper wetter looking shine :biggrin:

Rich, the "problem" with waxes is that they take very long to apply and buff whereas the Acrylic Jet trigger is just spray on and buff of.

I *think* the problem I have with waxes is applying too much of it and then it is a pain to buff.

Does this last longer than the Acrylic stuff and if so by how much?

·
Registered
55 fsti
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh it's acidic works a treat tho, just used a soft paint brush. If heavy tar or something on them I used wonder wheels. Then spray zymol wheel coat on them. Layered zymol waxes can last a few months

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Rich, the "problem" with waxes is that they take very long to apply and buff whereas the Acrylic Jet trigger is just spray on and buff of.

I *think* the problem I have with waxes is applying too much of it and then it is a pain to buff.

Does this last longer than the Acrylic stuff and if so by how much?

On one hand I agree that the Jett is piss easy to apply, but the Prime is a pain in the arse to get off, and I ended up having to use copius quantities of Gloss just to remove it.

The Carnuba wax it also piss easy - not as easy as the Jett obviously - you apply it so thinly that it dries within 5 mins and then easily wipes off. The application pad supplied (2 actually) makes it virtually impossible to apply too much in my opinion. It's supposed to last for 3 months, but like the Jett it's best with multiple coats !! I can wax the whole car in about 20-30 mins.

For reference I switched to the Blackfire system because I saw a black wagon at a car show that had an amazingly deep shine...and upon enquiring found out what she was using.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
On one hand I agree that the Jett is piss easy to apply, but the Prime is a pain in the arse to get off, and I ended up having to use copius quantities of Gloss just to remove it.

The Carnuba wax it also piss easy - not as easy as the Jett obviously - you apply it so thinly that it dries within 5 mins and then easily wipes off. The application pad supplied (2 actually) makes it virtually impossible to apply too much in my opinion. It's supposed to last for 3 months, but like the Jett it's best with multiple coats !! I can wax the whole car in about 20-30 mins.

For reference I switched to the Blackfire system because I saw a black wagon at a car show that had an amazingly deep shine...and upon enquiring found out what she was using.
True, when the Prime hardens it becomes rock hard but you only need to use it 2-3 times per year maximum, the rest of the times just topping up the Jet Trigger in between.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
True, when the Prime hardens it becomes rock hard but you only need to use it 2-3 times per year maximum, the rest of the times just topping up the Jet Trigger in between.
Now I'm totally lost :huh:

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
its a parallel universe

somebody please start talking about which oil to use or whether to map after a turbo swop, or which ARB is best

1 - 20 of 22 Posts