Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my TurboS with 76k on the clock two and a half years ago, it now has 130k due to the 90miles of motorway commute I am currently doing daily.
To say the front shocks were perhaps past their best is probably very kind, but I was having to first ‘load’ the suspension with the cars weight before committing to any fast corners. The suspension set up is the original standard set-up, except for an 18mm rear rollbar of an RA.

Back in October I bought ChestersFSTI shocks of him, intending to fit them to the wife’s 2.5 XTEN and put her low mile shocks on mine. Initially, I was going to do this over the Xmas break but with all the Snow and its associated hang ups, I never got round to it.

As the ground was too hard for the kids to play their football game, and it wasn’t raining I actually managed it on Sunday.

Luckily, I had the whole shocks, including the rear top mounts (which incorporate both the top mount and the spring retainer) and so it was pretty much a remove and refit exercise on the SF. In fact the only problems were:

• Getting the original springs compressed enough. (I had to modify my spring clamps to get that extra little bit).
• Undoing the stubborn bolts, that held the lower strut (especially the rears, as I could not get an air gun on them).
• Securing the front brake pipes. (On the SF5, these are clipped on, but on the 06 STI they are bolted on). The clips were persuaded to both fit and pass an independent 12year old boy ‘tug-hard test’ – they held.

First impressions driving round the block on Sunday were a bit of an anti climax after nearly three hours of my life.
Yesterday, it felt Ok, but the M25 is hardly a tight corner.
But, after driving to an alternate office this morning on mainly twisty A and B roads, I have to say I am now very pleased by the transformation.
No planning corners like a 2CV driver and it even drifts when you swerve it (private road of course).
Its no AST-shod Type25 Impreza, but I think Subaru got it about right on the FSTi in terms of a balance between turn in feel and comfort.

Not surprising though, when you consider I am running sub 200bhp through a package that is designed to take 300. An underpowered chassis, is always a good place to be.

Still pleased - none the less.

The wife’s bit miffed though, she misses her Clio Cup on some of the corners, and was looking forward to the new shocks!!!

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Nice write up mate.

I thorough recommend a full geometry alignment if you haven't had one done already though...of the 4-wheel kind.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
get a full suspension geo done asap.

1 it will setup the suspension so the car holds the road better and goes round corners better.

2 so your tyres dont wear unevenly

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
The wife’s bit miffed though, she misses her Clio Cup on some of the corners, and was looking forward to the new shocks!!!
Get her an RX8, Mine (and I) were well impressed with the chassis feel, I'm also told the steering is fantastic but not having managed to pry the keys from my wifes grubby mits during the test drive I wouldn't know!

Simon

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys,

Geometry is on my list of urgent things, but for the moment its set up with camber the same as the original suspension using a 'dangle meter' I made for the Seven, so I could make small adjustments on track days.

Really, these should go on the wifes car, as my Forester is only meant to be Train station parker/motorway mile muncher. The wifes Xten is worth at least six times as much as mine and should have all the goodies. (The H&S Back box will be swapped over soon).

Traditionally, we have always had Sports Cars, me with various JDM Impreza's for the last ten years, and her with a sucession of hot hatches. She had planned for a Megane 225 next, but fell in love with the heated seats, visibility and practicality of my SF5 on the days she was driving it for whatever reason.

To be honest, if the STI had leather heated seats, she would be driving one!!

The most amazing thing is that we only got into owning Foresters by accident, - PXing a previous runaround car against an STurbo, where the owner needed a cheaper car and cash. (I thought it would make a good car for the Football runs).
Its funny how things change!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally managed to get the geometry done on Monday as I had the day off and the rear camber and toe was surprisingly way out.

I had to pay extra for rear camber bolts, but the car is now set up perfectly to STI Forester settings all round.

Its made the same handling jump again as just putting the struts on made.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Finally managed to get the geometry done on Monday as I had the day off and the rear camber and toe was surprisingly way out.

I had to pay extra for rear camber bolts, but the car is now set up perfectly to STI Forester settings all round.

Its made the same handling jump again as just putting the struts on made.
Cool stuff matey :biggrin:

Where did you get the geo done in the end...?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Not sure I'd have gone for camber bolts, you ideally want less -ve camber at the rear to kill understeer, that is what the STi's all have, and it works for me with my STi (Impreza) suspension.

Simon

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool stuff matey :biggrin:

Where did you get the geo done in the end...?

Elite in Essex.
I've had Prodrive settings on all both Classic impreza's done there.
They fixed the wandering steering on a near new Mondeo I had ten years back, after no-one else could, so Ive always used them.

There is a guy in Sittingbourne that the EVO boys use and say is good, but I stuck with what I knew.

The only other place I had it done on a car is Powerstation in Glos, but that was only because they sold the AST/T25 suspension I was having fitted at the time.

Rookie,
I asked for the FSTI 2006 settings, and thats what they needed to add to get them for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts