Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
04' Forester STI
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be of interest to a few people on here...

I recently fitted a full set of UK Impreza STI shocks and springs to my FSTI. (Thanks to NorthDownScooby for helping source them!)

The quality of the photos below is pretty poor (no thanks to my iphone!) but you get the idea of the ride height. It has settled a little more since I took the pictures.

Fitting was simple, just a straight swap. James at GRD did the work for me along with a fast road geo set up.

Handling is much improved at speed, the shocks damping and rebound seems far more suited to the car than the origionals. On the motorway the car feels more planted where it used to wander a little bit at very high speed.
On the twistys I have got less understeer than before, although this is possibly the new geo set up that GRD used to allow a little more camber at the front.
The ride quality hasn't changed much, even allowing for a shorter spring/shock. It's wasn't exactly smooth before! I think it looks better, quite a drastic change from before! :icon_cool:

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Looks good doesn't it - I think it's the perfect ride height too for the FSTI. Another success for James @ GRD I think there.

What did the Missus think Dan..? Have you let her have it back yet.??

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,489 Posts
Nice one :)
What's the distance between wheel centre and wheel arch, front and back?
These are non-inverted ones since they come from an '04 Impreza (and the original FSTI shocks are of the inverted type) is that correct?

·
Registered
04' Forester STI
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind comments! - I think it looks much better than before. The pictures don't really show it right now it has had time to settle, i'll take some more when I get a chance to clean it!

Simon - I didn't have the Impreza shocks stripped as they seemed to be in good condition visually. I may have this done in the future if they begin to wear, etc.

Fpan - I'll measure the ride height tonight, they are 04 struts in shocking pink!

One thing that is noticeable is the ride quality when the car is fully laden. Under compression the shocks seem more compliant, not sure why this would be? Maybe the spring rate is progressive in some wierd way but it's definately smoother when full. Good for passengers!

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Yeah I noticed my car on WRX sedan struts handles better when I load people in the rear or something heavy in the cargo area.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,489 Posts

·
Registered
04' Forester STI
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:huh: Thats seems weird (see very tall)...
I guess you have measured the distance from the floor to the wheel arch:
Wheel centre to wheel arch distance image by tdr1980 on Photobucket

Can you please measure the distance from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch (this way tyre pressure etc will not have an effect on the height)?

Cheers :)
Whoops! That should have read 14.5"

it's parked on a reasonably level surface with half a tank of fuel on board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts