Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With a bit of a floppy gear stick in the FSTi, something was needed to be done...

The 6 speed gear shifter has 5 sets of bushings, see pic below

A wasnt very worn in mine so had not been modified
B was well worn so a Group N replacement will be going there later
C was past it so in went a SuperPro SPF2462K which was £20 from eBay
D and E are were the source of most of the slop in the gear stick in mine

The majority of aftermarket kits will sell you B or C, not many sell D/E replacements. I decided to DIY mine - because Hoff does that kinda thing.

My solution was to install Oilite bushes in there, these are brass bushings that pre-impregnated with oil (I'll let you look them up if interested). Lets explain with some pics.

You can see here that I've already dropped the linkage holding C and installed it (I forgot to take pics of the disasembly), the bolt through the middle exits left as the its got a captive nut on the right.
once out of the captive nut pull it down as there is a cut out in the metal bracket - this allows the bolt to clear the chassis and gets removed.

Remove the bracket at the back, its 3 x 12mm bolts
Here is D/E in place. That pin that holds D into the gearbox is a pain to get out.
The bolt holding E in place has two flats on top, use a 14mm to hold it and whizz off the 12mm nut on the bottom.

Here you can see the two flats I was referring to above.
The central spacers were very loose and would wobble around quite freely.

The central shafts are 40mm and 44mm. 18mm OD, 14mm ID

I purchased 2x 20mm, a 14mm and a 10mm Oiltie bush from Bearingshopuk costing me £10 delivered

I used a 20mm+14mm in the long one and a 20mm +10mm in the shorter one - This leaves 5mm at each end which you then trim down the old plastic bush to form the top and bottom hats. This holds the two ajoining arms central when its all back together.
I couldnt source flaged Oilite bushes in the right size which is why I took this approach.

I have no further images as you can see anything different when its all installed back under the car. The final piece to the puzzle will be the B bushing replacement that is due in a few days.

For now though, the difference in how the gear changes feel is very noticeably improved. The slop has been very much reduced and I now realise how bad it was before.

The solid Oilite bushings have increase the vibration from of the gearbox very slightly but nothing over the top. You do get a lot more feel in the gear changes and its like you are connected to the car more.... its hard to explain but I would recommend this mod to anyone and should have done this years ago.

Next up is the DIY short shifter!

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
434 Posts
Some quality Info there. I’ll wait till I’m sober to read and absorb this info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pretty sure Alyn at As Performance has these kits fully made up and in stock - give him a call as I have been using him for years and his prices are always very competetive!

AS Performance: 0191 410 3770

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He wanted £90 for the kit, I did it for £30 with the bits above... and £20 of that was on the SuperPro Bush.

Hopefully the guide above will help other DIYers if required

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the links for the bits I purchased

OB141810 Plain Oilite Bush - 10mm x 1, £1.55
OB141814 Plain Oilite Bush - 14mm x 1, £1.74
OB141820 Plain Oilite Bush - 20mm x 2, £1.97

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,539 Posts
Great skills, work and write up as usual Hoff!

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
434 Posts
Now please come and install on mine...? I can pay you in IOU's and back rubs.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really glad i read the reviews,the polyurethane bushings are going to cause sound,vibration,rattling and more,skew that ****.i made the mistake of putting polyurethane motor mounts in a scion XB omg the whole inside rattled,sounded terrible and vibrated the whole car inside.so i may install a short throw but forget those poly bushings,glad i read the reviews.driving daily that **** gets old hearing and feeling the vibration,trust me.
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts