Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked out Karma's link again:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/discovered-what-causing-nasty-clunk-52815/

been under mine, and this is what I saw:

No evidence of the ARB coming into contact with anything else on either side.

BUT, the eagle eyed amongst you may notice that that bolt is waaaaaayy loose, so may account for the noise I'm hearing. Might sound like a silly Q but how does one tighten it..? The nut is rusted/stuck on at the mo which I'm sure I can easily sort, but regardless there seems nothing on the other end to get a grip of in a spanner. Any ideas chaps...?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Interesting.
Can you post a vertical wider angle pic?
So is there no space at all to put in a ratchet?
Is that a whiteline ARB btw?

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting.
Can you post a vertical wider angle pic?
So is there no space at all to put in a ratchet?
Is that a whiteline ARB btw?
Yep whiteline ARB.

Will have to post other pics tomorrow as I have to scoot out in 5 mins.

Space to get something around the nut yeah, but nothing obvious to get hold of at the other end to provide resistance to stop the bolt turning with the nut.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
There is (or probably was in your case) a narrow collar with a pair of flats machine on it to take an open ended spanner on the ball joint side. Its usually partially obscured by the rubber boot.

Looks as if you may need to open your wallet for a new pair :biggrin:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yeah there are flat spots on the other side, but its a pain to grip. Yours are quite gunky and leaking grease from the boot, so I'd probably just replace them. Lots of options out there, I like the solid dogbone style endlinks (like the kartboy) for the rear as they're just easier to work with (they have a bolt+nut going through a bushing in the link rather than a joint).

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I tend to agree, probably as easy to change as to tighten to be fair. Also, it's quite easy to stuff the ball joints if the spanner slips when tightening them... they're a PITA when they rust - had to cut mine off.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah Ok I did wonder if that grease leaking was a good thing. Didn't know how much of a "sealed unit" they were supposed to be. Looks like I may have my next £60 upgrade on the horizon then.

On the plus side, I rolled some black electrical table up like string and wrapped it in the gap between nut and mount, making a temporary rubberish washer in effect, and initial impressions are that at least 1 of those noises that I've become immune to may have disappeared !! :woohoo:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Yet another use for PVC tape! ;o)

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Picture "borrowed" from Peaty's Scoobymods thread to show the flats a bit clearer

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK managed to loosen the nut but then it had obviously destroyed the thread as it wouldn't tighten up any further. Luckily I managed to get the nut off as it would grip the thread in reverse - blimey how hard was that, even with liberal persuasion from Mr. WD's 40th variety !!
Slotted a couple of thick metal washers I had lying around for just such an ocasion onto the bolt, and retightened all the way

:woohoo: we have a tight droplink nut again.

Thanks for the assistance people :banana:

Attachments

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Initial drives indicate that it seems to have cured my particular flavour of "the clunk" too :woohoo:

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
You'll be shocked, amazed and impressed by the effect produced by loosening it again, throwing the droplink in the bin and putting whitelines on. Even more so if you do both ends at once.

Having said that getting rid of that annoying clunk is very satisifying.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'll be shocked, amazed and impressed by the effect produced by loosening it again, throwing the droplink in the bin and putting whitelines on. Even more so if you do both ends at once.

Having said that getting rid of that annoying clunk is very satisifying.
Recommend me something then...with a picture, price, and product number. :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts