Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am having big availability problems with 225/45-18 and having to fit winter cheapies for the time being - planning ahead - will probably purchase new wheels + tyres - thinking of:
18 x 8 rims with 245/40-18 - as seems to be more choice of better tyres and with greater ( 97Y) loading and speed rating. (note very few choice in 235 + greater speedo error so 245 seems a better bet)

Given I still have stock FSTI suspension - does anyone envisage rubbing problems or other issues ( other than ensuring the rims clear the brembos which I assume an ET48 would)

Has anyone fitted 18x8 rims, if so, which, what offset wheels and what tyre size was used ( plus any spacers needed on struts or hubs)

note I have PCD 100 5 stud hubs (not 114)

thanks,

Paul W

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
I use 225/55 18 and my car is lower than an FSTI - no rubbing except the occasional squeak if you pass a truck coming the other way when you're going over 125 - 130. The ride is also slightly better than 45s.

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for replies
trouble has been last few days no courier companies delivering around here - so Camskill not an option - I am on the space saver after a major puncture and need to replace tomorrow latest.

Not even Falkens are in stock in the N.West - so stuck with limited options in 225/45-18 - will resolve this one locally somehow - but determined to buy some new wheels & tyres when its spring and the cr*p weather has gone ( no point ruining new rims with salt+grit).

purpose of this thread is to see whether anyone has successfully fitted 8" width 18" rims into the FSTI arches - and with what ET rims - as it would be a tight fit ( I estimate less than 6mm on either side) or maybe even not possible at all.

note that 245/40-18 ( with the wider rims naturally) is only 1% out from the OEM tyre's circumference - so ( IMHO) preferable to 225/40 on the existing rims - which is 3.5% out and not something I want to do - even though tyre choices are better.

keep the suggestions and experiences coming - all appreciated.

ta,

paul W

·
Registered
2004 FSTI
172 Posts
Hi,
I have not long purchased some ROTA GTR alloys 18x8 PCD 100 5 stud (in white) i will be putting 225/40/18 yokohama parada tyres on them, which i will probably be fitting in feb at sometime, i know white is a pain to keep clean but i wanted something different then black/gunmetal..ect, im hoping they will look ok :icon_biggrin: to late now....LOL.

charlie.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
thanks for replies
trouble has been last few days no courier companies delivering around here - so Camskill not an option - I am on the space saver after a major puncture and need to replace tomorrow latest.

Not even Falkens are in stock in the N.West - so stuck with limited options in 225/45-18 - will resolve this one locally somehow - but determined to buy some new wheels & tyres when its spring and the cr*p weather has gone ( no point ruining new rims with salt+grit).

purpose of this thread is to see whether anyone has successfully fitted 8" width 18" rims into the FSTI arches - and with what ET rims - as it would be a tight fit ( I estimate less than 6mm on either side) or maybe even not possible at all.

note that 245/40-18 ( with the wider rims naturally) is only 1% out from the OEM tyre's circumference - so ( IMHO) preferable to 225/40 on the existing rims - which is 3.5% out and not something I want to do - even though tyre choices are better.

keep the suggestions and experiences coming - all appreciated.

ta,

paul W
this will help Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES :icon_biggrin:

I'm going to get some ultralites and they are 18x8 with an offset of 45 and 225/45/18 tyres....they will clear my struts according mr ultralite and the link below ! Mine is an 1997 stb though so maybe slightly different for you ...sure someone on here will know ..plenty here with some big numbers on the wheels , have a look http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...s-thoughts-66526/f74/wheel-gallery-975/..hope this helps

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,598 Posts
Paul, take a look at this if you haven't already:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/tire-size-wheel-size-offset-etc-log-will-fit-11836/
18x7.5 definetely fits as is what prodrive suggests for the Forester, not sure of 18x8, but it *should* fit (it was the same story for the Impreza wagon and 18x8 was OK is some cars according to M. Wood - not sure why though)

What is the offset of the original FSTI wheels?

Let us know what you buy. I would be interested in a second set of wheels for the summer as I already have winter tyres on the original wheels and no summer tyres.

P.S. I bought my winter tyres from mytyres.co.uk

·
Registered
2004 Litchfield 330 STI
135 Posts
white wheels

Hi,
I have not long purchased some ROTA GTR alloys 18x8 PCD 100 5 stud (in white) i will be putting 225/40/18 yokohama parada tyres on them, which i will probably be fitting in feb at sometime, i know white is a pain to keep clean but i wanted something different then black/gunmetal..ect, im hoping they will look ok :icon_biggrin: to late now....LOL.

charlie.
May be a pain but when clean they are gorgeous lol!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,598 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm - yes those are very nice, but probably out of my price range especially as yen rate isn't too clever right now.

encouraging that they are selling 18x8 48 offset as a direct fit for the Forester - my own calculations are that they should fit ok too -

been looking at some inovit and rota options - plus discovering there are a whole host of tyre choices at the wider width - so now decided this is the way forwards - have plenty of time to research as the winter weather looks like it is here to stay.

Am now running on cheap n cheerful rubber to last over the next couple of months - nice to have some tread and grip back again as the vredesteins were well and truly shot!

thanks for all the helpful links guys

Paul W

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 would suit the car IMHO and can be made to order in these dimensions. They also are a very lightweight wheel. I am tempted by them when funds permit, hopefully spring/summer time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts