Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing this FSB has been a project from HELL!

Who designed the 04 FXT front mounting brackets? I'd love to get my hands on them for a good 10 minutes. :crazy:

Anyways, Because of the bad angle, lack of space, and just overall STUPIDITY of the passenger side FSB mount, i've stripped the bolt that is hardest to access. I just dont know what to do at this point. I can't cut it off, because the top one is welded into place (nor can I get a cutter in there). The bolt is thoroughly fubar'd.

What are my options here? :(

Luckily its still on there, so I can just rebolt EVERYTHING that i've already done (this was the last nut to come off, before the FSB was able to come off).

ps. Also found out a bushing on my kartboy endlink is shot. Today = bad day.

:mob:

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
Damn man.. sorry to hear..
Hope it works out. Those things are not supposed to happen to Bay Area folks.
Hope it works out.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geez, color me stupid!

I just read about the subframe removal, to make this job easier.

:facepalm

I'll be taking the subframe off tomorrow in hopes of getting this situation fixed.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I didn't remove my subframe when I installed my FSB. I do remember it being a PITA. Spray lots of PB Blaster on the bolts, and if that fails, use a torch to heat up the bolt. Good luck.

Stan

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't remove my subframe when I installed my FSB. I do remember it being a PITA. Spray lots of PB Blaster on the bolts, and if that fails, use a torch to heat up the bolt. Good luck.

Stan
You didn't have any trouble getting to the front nuts of the mounting brackets? The one on the driver side was somewhat easy to get to because there is a void you can get your hand in on the wrench to turn. On the passenger side, that void is filled with exhaust header.

Ill be doing this work tomorrow. I'll report back after my *hopeful* success.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
You didn't have any trouble getting to the front nuts of the mounting brackets? The one on the driver side was somewhat easy to get to because there is a void you can get your hand in on the wrench to turn. On the passenger side, that void is filled with exhaust header.
I do remember removing some support bracket, I believe -- that's not the piece you are talking about, is it? I have to look under there again, I remember it being a PITA but I didn't remove any major large-size components. Good luck, work slow, if you get irritated walk away from it for a while.

Stan

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
If you stripped just the bolt but the nut is still welded on there - just get the bolt out (yes you can, but try to secure/hold the nut somehow, if you can) and re-tap for a slightly bigger bolt (do use fine thread, but not necessarily metric). Will cost you ~$10-15 for the tap and a corresponding bolt in your local hardware shop.

P.S. Welcome to the strip club!

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you stripped just the bolt but the nut is still welded on there - just get the bolt out (yes you can, but try to secure/hold the nut somehow, if you can) and re-tap for a slightly bigger bolt (do use fine thread, but not necessarily metric). Will cost you ~$10-15 for the tap and a corresponding bolt in your local hardware shop.

P.S. Welcome to the strip club!
I didn't strip that side, I stripped the nut side (closer to the front of the car)

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
I didn't strip that side, I stripped the nut side (closer to the front of the car)
Who care which side (M/F), as long as the nut is still attached in place - drill (optional, not advisable unless necessary) and re-tap, just don't go overboard with the diameter. Once the subframe is removed, you should have adequate access to do that. If the nut is loose... well, cut off, remove, replace with another nut (big washer recommended). Bigger PITA but still doable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts