Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
05 FXT 5MT
244 Posts
I've got a Cusco tarmac centre diff that I just took out of the Impreza. I'm hoping to trade it for a 12kg viscous centre diff. I know I don't want a 20kg, I'm hoping a 12 will be better than the 4kg but not as solid as welding or 20kg.

Being an open planetary setup....I do not recommend it for slippy surfaces. It took me exactly 1 day in the snow to try it and swap it out. I might as well have been in my 2wd pickup truck with no weight in the back and race slicks for tires.....(well maybe all seasons). Any throttle over bare minimum results in rear end breaking loose and complete loss of AWD goodness.

That said....find me a 12kg center diff and we'll make a trade!

· Registered
05 FXT 5MT
244 Posts
Hey Simon....you can always put a phase I tail section on your trans (if you can score a 12kg diff).

Speaking of which....any trans gurus know if phase I transfer gears will work in the phase II case? I'm working on a potential swap deal and I'll need new teeth should I pick up the parts.

On the DCCD subject, you could always use the "Spiider DCCD controller" or rig up a 12v switch similar to the torqumada lite mod..... 40/60 when you want the tail to be comin 'round, then flip a switch to lock it up to pull you the rest of the way through!!!

· Registered
05 FXT 5MT
244 Posts
Here I thought you had a front LSD all this time.

As Jeff Foxworthy would say.... "well there's yer sign...." !!!! The OBX front LSD is a cabon copy of the Quaife and is worth every penny of $400-ish on fleabay. I've been running an OBX for a couple years now, other I know have been using it longer than I have, with turbo power. Some report noise from a lack of preload on the worm gears. Others report hardware issues. I report quicker corner speeds and quicker lap times.

· Registered
05 FXT 5MT
244 Posts
The OBX isn't a carbon copy of the Quaife. If you look at them side-by-side, you'll notice a TON of small differences. Still, if you don't want to spend a lot of extra cash for no apparent reason at all, it's alright for a knock-off.
I edited your post to read a little closer. :confused: You should know that it's a little too much work to remove a front diff just to look at them side by side. They feel and function identically when I step out of one car and get into the other. Aside from the lack of radius on the stubshafts, which like to rollover the axle seals upon installation, I would say teh OBX is a little better than just "alright" for a knockoff...... Many of the OBX parts pushed on ebay are not up to the quality of other brand name parts....but they got it right with the front diff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts