Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Front Underspoiler Possible Groupbuy.

4K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  mykp 
#1 ·
As the thread in Marketplace has fallen flat on its backside, i thought i'd stick a post in here as well.

right chaps I have a front under spoiler courtesy of Jan (modnaR) off his rear ended S/tb.

I am not sure if this will fit an s-turbo but if some one local to macclesfield with an s-turbo wants to pop round for a brew and we'll test fit then see if it fits the s-turbo.

I have been looking at how much it will cost to make some duplicates and I am shocked at the price of chemicals, very shocked, however........

as I have an excellent body kit manufacturer right on my door step I am going to approach them........ BUT.........

I want to get an idea of the following:

1. how many people want one?
2. how much you'd be prepared to pay?

let me know and if the numbers are right then i'll approach them next week and see what they say.

mike
List of possibles so far.

1. mykp
2. Kushbex
3. NichB
4. Brian Lacey

#4 ·
Mike, did you manage to check fitment to UK S-Turbos in the end..?

I'd happily trek across the moors for a cuppa and fancy the idea.

What does the front underspoiler look like? is it the one with the two fins poking out the bottom, with room for an FMIC in the gap in between...?? ;)

mike

#5 ·
#9 ·
Mike, not yet on the fitment. Did think about trying it on a S-turbo parked in the car park this morning but thought better of it.
Mike - I'm in Macc with an '01 S-turbo if you want to test fit ? Its currently on its way back from a fruitless visit to the body shop after a rear ending - they've comprehensively failed to find a replacement rear bumper for it so are sending it back till they do! (found 2x on eBay in 5 mins of looking this morning...).

PM me if you want to try it out at some point.

#6 ·
Mike, the black STi type underspoiler is the one I am after for mine, with the solid lip all the way across on the bottom as opposed to the silver one (middle pic) which has the Audi-type "split lip" (hey, I've just coined a comedy car part name!)

Always up for a jaunt, let me check the diary and get back to you via PM with some potential dates.

Cheers for the shout on Fozzy's part, I'll PM him now.

Mike

#13 ·
okay news from the body kit manufacturers.

First off let me say I have priced up the chemicals myself and the cost would be in the region of £180 just to make the mould....

So when I went down to the bodyshop today he's given me a price of £500 to make the mould and the cost of copies would be £100 each.

However the mould would be mine after the five copies.

The copies would be made from plastic not fibreglass though but any further copies which would be made would be fibreglass unless I invested in a decent compressor and the chemicals to make them from plastic.

So your thoughts please?

Until I get back from holiday this is on hold anyway as I cant do anything before I go away as i'm up to my neck in work and the worst part is I have a deadline to meet as well!

#15 ·
Hi again Mike,
Still think £100 is damn good especially for a plastic front spoiler.

Fibreglass would obviously be cheaper and would be more succeptable to stone chip and car park damage whereas the plastic one will just bounce back with minor knocks.

Let me know as soon as the first batch of plastic ones are ready.

Thanks for this.

#23 ·
Fibreglass would obviously be cheaper and would be more succeptable to stone chip and car park damage whereas the plastic one will just bounce back with minor knocks. ......
Not true. As someone who has owned and restored a number of kit cars I have some experience of Fibreglass or to be accurate Glass Reinforced Plastic. Fibreglass is as strong or as week as the manufacturer cares to make it. Scimp on the resin leaving patches of nearly raw glass, scimp on the number of layers of matting and the GRP product will be susceptible to chips and knocks.

If ever you are at a kit car show compare Jago Jeeps or Samurai's to Dutton Sierra kit cars. Jago were built to strict Quality Standards whereas the Dutton was built on the Tesco principle - make it cheap stack 'em high. Additionally you can fix the GRP item you cannot repair the plastic one.

Depending on the cost I am interested in a GRP one.

Jon

#26 ·
I have found a UK company that appears to do this already in FRP, more details to follow, they have quoted £149 but I have asked about the possibility of a GB discount, they aren't far from me (Nottingham) so I suspect we'll get a better deal if I collect and then arrange shipping, watch this space!

Simon

#28 ·
Interesting, so they want £150 averaged over 10, which is the same price....

Tried for a GB discount, he wasn't interested, but will do them for £149 each, as that is the individual price then if anyone is interested, pm me and I'll supply his email addy.

Simon

#29 ·
Hey Mike,
It's HT Auto that do all the Impreza spoilers and undertrays and they are rated as the best in the business by all the clubs up here.

I am more than willing to pay that for a spoiler - Might have another lad from NESF wanting a front spoiler - so up here it's Me, MaxBoost and possibly BagLad1.

I can even collect asap as I am all over the place at the mo, even one of our salesmen live in Mac as well.

Keep me updated - Cheers.:Banane35:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.