Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2007 FXT with cobb front sway bar that was installed prior to me acquiring vehicle. Just starting to put some miles on the vehicle and I am noticing rubbing/noise when steering all the way either direction. The noise happens equally left or right during about the last 3/4 turn of steering before hitting locks. At first it just sounded like snow under the tires (the pop/hop/grind noise) but today I thawed it out in our shop and even on dry concrete made the same sound. Is there a chance the swaybar is hitting or rubbing? I remember reading somewhere that install of the cobb swaybar is in a different configuration or location than a stock bar, but I can't find this thread again. I'm almost 100% sure it has the kartboy endlinks. They look exactly like what's on it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
MM best way to find out is the crawl under there and check for rub marks. Did you install it upside down?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I got under the car today and saw, in fact, that the sway bar was installed wrong by the individual who owned the car prior to me. The Cobb sway bar was installed backwards. Not only were they R R Rrrr Rubbing, but had worn I'd say 20% through the tie rod/steering link on both sides. Like I said earlier the only symptom was a noise at the last 3/4 turn of the wheel both directions. Moral of the story, when buying used, take nothing for granted?!!

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed it today, took it all apart, cleaned, greased, and reinstalled. To me the tie rods look like they'll still hold up just fine--in my opinion...
I dropped the "subframe" to do the work, it did make it nice to do. To my subframes hold weight, suspension, and steering, on this particular car, they must just be made for crash reinforcement?
The cobb bar wore quite a bit less than the tie rods.
Makes you wonder how it made it that far. After my highway trip home with the car I found it within the first 10 miles!

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Doh! Are there any holes in the Cobb bar? Remember it's hollow and it would suck if it got rubbed through and water was rusting the bar from the inside out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts