Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started getting a front end suspension clunk or creak noise when slowly turning in reverse..
great way to get attention in parking lots but lousy at winning point with my wife..

My first thoughts are strut mounts, it sounds like my previous jetta lowered with a cupkit,
but only happens when you are parking or turning the wheels when stopped.

ideas?

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, that is what has me wondering;
stock suspension, 36K km (~22K miles)
Never removed or opened up..

·
Registered
2000 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Did you ever find out what this was?

My 2000 has what sounds like the exact same issue.

It only did this a little when I bought it at 77K, only while turning really sharp while backing up - like when you back out of a parking space. Since I had other things to fix and the problem didn't seem to be affecting much, I let it slide. Now, after 50K and a new tranny, wheel bearing, head gasket and timing belt, it seems to be getting a little worse. I'd really appreciate knowing what this was and if I should be looking to fix it. Replacing the tranny didn't affect the problem at all - so it's probably not a CV joint - besides I've had a CV joint go bad and this doesn't sound the same. This is a louder 'CLUNK_____CLUNK_____CLUNK' that isn't as rapid as the 'clunk_clunk_clunk' of a bad CV joint.

What it sounds like, actually, is the wheel hitting the stabilizer bar - though I've turned the wheel and can't see where it might be hitting. Did you have any luck figuring out what was wrong with your car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts