Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused about speaker sizes for 2004 Forester.

I looked at crutchfield, amazon and newegg. Their fit guides are contradicting.

The front is 6.5

The back are 4 or 5.25 ? :confused:

Also, do I need to buy a harness like metra or I can wire them directly ?

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
I'm confused about speaker sizes for 2004 Forester.

I looked at crutchfield, amazon and newegg. Their fit guides are contradicting.

The front is 6.5

The back are 4 or 5.25 ? :confused:

Also, do I need to buy a harness like metra or I can wire them directly ?
The rear are 4 stock, or were on mine, but you can fit 5.25 pretty easy with a spacer thought I'd like to know how big you can go in the rear with the right spacer.

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought to get Pioneer 3 way in the front and 2 way in rear doors. Anyone has good experience with these speakers in a forester ? (I never had such small aftermarket speakers before)

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
I thought to get Pioneer 3 way in the front and 2 way in rear doors. Anyone has good experience with these speakers in a forester ? (I never had such small aftermarket speakers before)
I have Pioneers front and rear doors in the opposite configuration since I have door tweets upfront. Better than stock but overall...meh

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Spend all your money on the best 6.5" seperates you can afford for the front and leave the rear stock. The rears don't do much and are in a horrible location.

Great front speaker and stock rears will sound 10x better than decent front and decent rear speakers.

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spend all your money on the best 6.5" seperates you can afford for the front and leave the rear stock. The rears don't do much and are in a horrible location.

Great front speaker and stock rears will sound 10x better than decent front and decent rear speakers.

Actually the front speakers aren't that bad and have a good bass.
The rears are bad... even my cell phone speaker is louder :cool:

What if I leave the front stock, add front tweeters and install these Pioneer "surface mounted speakers" behind the rear seats ?Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-X200 Surface Mount 3-Way Bass-Reflex Speakers:…

Then I will set the fader at 80% rear & 20% front. Paired with Pioneer cd/mp3 it should sound good ?

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
603 Posts
i put a 6.5 in the back but it doesn't really fit... it took some longer screws some drilling and dynamat around the opening, you could fit it better if you had a dremel and removed some metal but i didnt want to do that. there is no rattling and the panel still fits so, i have no complaints lol!!!

here is the write up
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/roadblocker-write-up-pics-75247/

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i put a 6.5 in the back but it doesn't really fit... it took some longer screws some drilling and dynamat around the opening, you could fit it better if you had a dremel and removed some metal but i didnt want to do that. there is no rattling and the panel still fits so, i have no complaints lol!!!
What kind of speakers are these and which headunit ?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
95 Posts
Looks Good Matrix !!

If you are going 6.5 all around, buy a decent amp to power them all.
I am using a Sony 4 Channel amp provides 70 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms.
When you run high power amps, your speakers will sound great at all volumes :)
:woohoo:

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh sure im looking into a jvc head unit at this point it will have more rms power out and i think it will be sufficient. i have the sub in the rear for the low end!
Do I need a harness adapter to connect aftermarket speakers ?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
180 Posts

So, I finally took this advice (as far as adding 6.5" separates).

:icon_eek:

WOW!

I had 5.25" coaxials (Alpine) and they sounded good, but several months ago the woofer on the driver side quit working. I just picked up a set of Rockford Fosgate Punch separates, installed them and... just WOW!

Sea-Scooby knows what he's talking about. (Like we didn't know that already.) :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Manual
30 Posts
I'm considering upgrading my stereo as well. I have a Kenwood HU (MP348U I think) and want to install a good set of 5-1/4" coaxial speakers in the rear and 6-1/2" separares in the front. I'm leaning toward Polk (my preference) or MB Quart Onyx series.

I was test fitting parts of my setup today and noticed that the area behiind the upper door handle that looks like a tweeter location is actually empty :icon_frown:. Any have any experience installing tweeters there?

I will probably add a separate amp at some point once all the car's priorities are sorted. Damn, I wish I kept my trusty A/D/S amp :icon_rolleyes:

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Marc

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sport XT Automatic
14 Posts
All,

Can anyone tell me the exact speaker resistance (ohms) and RMS wattage for the front speakers, rear speakers, and rear cargo area speaker is on a 2007 Forester XT?

I cannot find this info in the service manual or online. I have heard 4 ohms for the fronts somewhere. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
typically in my experience almost all car audio factory speakers (bose excepted) are 4 ohm setups. allows for better response and sound while drawing less power overall compared to ac powered systems. anyone with a differing opinion is welcome to chime in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts